FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bluray authoring for film

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic Hadenfeldt
Bluray authoring for film
on May 20, 2014 at 11:37:49 pm

Hello,
I was hoping someone could recommend a company that has experience authoring blurays for major feature films. I'm trying to get a feature underway, and this is the last part of image testing all the way through to bluray. But I'm ready to pay someone. Or, at least pay someone for help. Working strictly in the current Adobe suite.

I'm primarily working with 2k scans of 16mm and 35mm film. The footage is beautiful on the timeline and playback, but every disc - regardless of settings (color, sharpening, GR, NR, bit rate) we can't seem to get it to play nicely with HD televisions. Funny, the only player/tv combo that has produced a bearable image is an older 720P tv, which looks amazing.

Any guidance would be terrific,
thanks

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
Re: Bluray authoring for film
on May 21, 2014 at 3:14:53 pm

Dominic,

Are you using Adobe Media Encoder to encode your blu-ray? We found it's quality lacking and switched to DoStudio Encoder for our encodes. The quality of the encode is MUCH better. We then bring that encoded file into Adobe Encore and author out the blu-ray and use BluStreak Tracer to double check the image, test, and burn the final master disc.

DoStudio Encoder has been acquired by Sony and is now part of their Creative Software division. I don't know what the current price is - we paid $900 before Sony acquired them. It's PC only, and we are a Mac environment, so I have a Mac I boot into Windows 7 (using bootcamp), run the encode, then boot back over to OS X for the authoring. It's worth the hassle. Perhaps they have a trial version you can test out.

DoStudio also has an authoring application but our budgets were always too low to allow it. Encore worked fine - we kept our menus very simple (DVD like) and put more effort into the video quality.

This is a workflow we implemented 3 years ago and have stuck with it - because it works and fits our budget. There may be better ways to do it now-a-days.

Good luck.

Don Hertz

Return to posts index

Dominic Hadenfeldt
Re: Bluray authoring for film
on May 24, 2014 at 3:18:48 pm

Don,
Thanks so much for the help. After many more late nights tinkering it seems the problem to be mostly procedural, switching between PP, AE, Speedgrade, then Encore. We were overlooking something that was recompressing our footage (x2). So, the BR players weren't able to handle the mega compression.
Still trying to find a way to get DoStudio on a win 7 setup (we have Win 8). DoStudio says the Win 8 compatability will arrive summer 2014.

Perhaps the universe gave finally us the "a-ha" moment after we posted the question. Same thing happens at the mechanic when I take my car into the shop, the problem has miraculously disappeared.

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]