FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will a genius step up to the plate?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Johnson
Will a genius step up to the plate?
on May 17, 2014 at 4:34:37 am

I'll be as detailed as possible. 1 movie. Part 1 and Part 2. Both about 80 minutes. A major mixed bag of different formats transcoded to ProRes 422 in FCP7. I typically send the sequence from FCP right to Compressor 3.5, use the HD preset to create assets and then make a Blu Ray final burn in Toast. Works great. Sucky menu's but beautiful picture. This time Compressor won't take it. I tore it apart trying to find the offending clip with no luck. Made a self contained movie using sequence settings. Plays back perfect. Send that .mov into Compressor to create assets. It plays beautiful but freezes. I literally wore out my BDRE disk trying different bitrates. I even let Compressor figure the bitrates for me. Still freezes. I have a Sony, Pioneer and Samsung Blu Ray player here and it happens on them all only totally random. Never the same spot twice. I'm in the 20's for max bitrate and high teens for average. Same result. I thought I would do a batch burn using Compressor's Blu Ray H.264 template. Again, tried dozens of combinations including letting Compressor figure it out for me. Same result. Also, the picture quality going this route is much more washed out and in some scenes I get this weird video pulsing during playback. I have 31 families I have to deliver this 2 part documentary to and am a month behind screwing around with freezing. I don't think it's a bitrate issue having used this same method for a few years making many movies that are far longer with no issues. I have never dragged a self contained .mov into Compressor before. Would a genius step forward please?

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Will a genius step up to the plate?
on May 20, 2014 at 3:20:38 am

When does it freeze? When you make the BluRay and play it in a player or the encoded file freezes? Does it always freeze in the same spot?

Try moving the source file to another drive and encode to a second drive.

Odd one for sure!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on May 20, 2014 at 6:34:01 am

Thanks for responding. Freezing only happens during playback in one of my variety of blu ray players. Freezing is always random.. I did try to move the source to other drives. I have 11tb's over 6 drives. Moved the source to the 3 fastest drives. No difference. That was a good possibility as well. I'm stuck for now. Stop back if you think of something else! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 26, 2014 at 3:26:29 am

Do you have Toast 11 or 12 with the BluRay plugin? You could try using the Toast default setting and burn a disc that way and see if the skipping or freezes stop.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on May 26, 2014 at 3:34:52 pm

Toast 12? I didn't know it was out. I re-read my post and saw that I didn't list my Toast version. I use 10 with the Blu Ray plugin. Is there a noticeable difference with the newer version? A while back I had glanced at upgrading but I was only fixated on a real menu improvement. Are you suggesting to let Toast encode instead of Compressor?

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 28, 2014 at 3:04:55 am

Yes! Let Toast do the encode and burn and see if the skipping is still an issue.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 30, 2014 at 4:22:17 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on May 30, 2014 at 4:24:16 pm

Here's 2 VERY important questions:

1. are all the blu-ray players running the latest firmware?

2. Most importantly, have you tried different brands of burnable BD-R?

Some brands just don't play well (expecially in 1st gen BD players)

I've had zero freezes/defects/returns on many Blu-Ray client discs using
TDK 25gb media (white inkjet printable.

Return to posts index

Chuck Johnson
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:40:06 am

Craig just for grimes have you tried burning a SD DVD?

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:51:31 am

No I haven't. Not sure I remember how at this point. I am trying an idea I found out about. Searching for answers led me to someone who uses elementary stream info to create assets. My machine is encoding that right now. I'll post results. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]