FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor setting for large ppt 4x3 deliverable?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
Compressor setting for large ppt 4x3 deliverable?
on May 1, 2014 at 5:42:26 pm

I'm struggling with Apple Compressor to make a large 4x3 (better than SD) video that will work with PowerPoint

My source material is all 16x9 - a mix of HD and med rez. Working in FCP7 I have made HD masters* and aim to drop that edit (as a ProRes export) into a 4x3 comp (I've decided the best way to do this is After Effects) - generally allowing it to do a center crop, and tweaking the odd shot horizontally that needs help.

I AE my comp is 960x720, lets say I export that Lossless and bring that into Compressor. I'd like to make an mp4 as PPT does not want Quicktime mov files but it seems that every time I copy a standard present and amend it to 4x3 - then when I apply it to my 960x720 video it reverts to 16x9. Really confused, what would you do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

Paul

*In FCP my seq is 1440x1080 16:9 preset

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Compressor setting for large ppt 4x3 deliverable?
on May 1, 2014 at 8:36:51 pm

Hmmm...I almost always use a Windows machine to encode a great Windows Media file. While Powerpoint on a PC can accept MP4s (assuming it is Windows 7 and recent Powerpoint version) I ALWAYS use Windows Media movies.

Compressor is terrible at creating them! I use Episode on the Mac to create great looking Windows Media files.

In a 4x3 powerpoint if a 16x9 movie is dropped onto a slide it will automatically letterbox the movie into the slide....this is usually acceptable. If you MUST edge crop the movie, again Episode is your friend as it can do all this juggling and still kick out a great looking Windows Media movie edge cut and scaled to the correct size for the Powerpoint. Or a PC with the FREE Windows Media encoder.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: Compressor setting for large ppt 4x3 deliverable?
on May 1, 2014 at 9:16:07 pm

Thanks Rich, there is a lot to absorb there but I did want to mention a breakthrough - probably file under obvious. I'm so used to doing all my compression in Compressor that it did not occur to me to simply export from AE to an mp4. That seemed to work just fine.

The first attempt was to mpeg4 but I could not open that file on a Mac. I tried again using the h.264 AE present and that seemed to work fine.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]