FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can a 90 minute movie take 500 HOURS to compress?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Dean
How can a 90 minute movie take 500 HOURS to compress?
on Apr 9, 2014 at 12:44:50 pm

Hi - I am trying to make a Blu-Ray of a feature film I've cut with a 5.1 surround mix. I still use FCP7 and Compressor 3.5.3. I've successfully created a 5.1 ac3 track but am now trying to create an MPEG-2 file to match. I've been following the workflow described by Danny Daneau at this blog -- http://www.theatticdoormovie.com/blog/2009/mac-bluray/ -- and it successfully worked on another project. But this time the QT movie I've brought into Compressor (ProRes 422 HQ, 1920x1080) is taking an extraordinarily long time to convert. One pass I tried brought up the remaining time to 1200 hours! I'm pretty sure the settings I'm using in the screen shot below match the ones in the blog post, and as I say, I successfully used this method two weeks ago. (I have a 2009 MBP running Snow Leopard, and Activity Monitor shows that the 8GB of RAM are not being unusually taxed.) Any thoughts at ALL? Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
Re: How can a 90 minute movie take 500 HOURS to compress?
on Apr 13, 2014 at 2:15:16 am

I don't do a lot of Blu Ray, but when I do, I use 264. Although it is not a particularly quick process, I would expect a 90 minute video to take no more than 3-4 hours – certainly not 400. I've never used MPEG-2 for Blu Ray. Unless there is a specific requirement for m2v, why not try an h.264 test of a short section of your movie to compare processing times?

Russ

Return to posts index

David Dean
on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:34:06 pm

Thanks for responding, Russ -- I DO use h.264 when I'm making a simple stereo Blu-Ray -- choosing "New Batch From Template" and picking "Create Blu-Ray." And it's worked fine, with an acceptable timeframe. The problem I'm having is creating a Blu with a 5.1 surround mix, and the MPEG workflow enabled me to do that on the previous job.

So let me ask this: I can export a QuickTime movie with FCP7 with the six discrete tracks. They're laid out on the timeline Left, Right, Center, LFE, Left Surround, Right Surround. If I drag that movie into Compressor, using the Template method, I do indeed see in the Inspector that there are six tracks -- but when it burns, do those tracks wind up in the correct places for a surround playback? (I'm just asking about a simple burn -- believe me, I've tried the method where you drag the tracks into the "surround" diagram and it's way too complicated to explain how THAT didn't work.) Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:23:59 pm

Maybe your frame controls are set to best?

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]