FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor - stop sign exclamation point re. source error

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
Compressor - stop sign exclamation point re. source error
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:48:51 pm

I took delivery on Canon MVI Quicktimes (h.264) that are giving me an error in Compressor 3.5 via an error msg that gets displayed as soon as I apply a ProRes present to the clip. (It is unlikely the cameraperson is contactable to learn the make of camera) I've never seen this before

The Qts seem to play fine but if I want to edit in FCP7 I really want to transcode them first. This is what the error looks like…(attached) how to I get more info to diagnosis the problem?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor - stop sign exclamation point re. source error
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:59:23 pm

As a test try using Quicktime 7 Pro and/or MPEGStreamclip.
That might confirm if it's a Compressor issue, a source file issue, a Compressor settings issue.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Apr 5, 2014 at 6:19:23 pm

Thanks Craig,

Seems I misread the problem but am not out of the woods yet. The error I described was the result of sourcing from a write-protected client drive… and I had the default target set to source… so that won't work. Now that I'm wise to that (changed the default target) I'm still wrestling with something I encountered originally but never mentioned in my post.

When I try to apply a setting (drag & drop ProRes 422 preset) to the selected list of Canon MVI Qts (h.264) in my batch window (about 175) there is a really long delay where the cursor has a green plus sign and is thinking/processing. I'm waiting on it now because the setting has not "taken" and I can't start the batch. At this point it's been over 15 minutes and the green plus cursor is now a spinning beach ball… why is it taking this long? Just not used to these delays, any reason to think that Compressor 4 would do a better job?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 5, 2014 at 7:13:21 pm

Too many possibilities without complete details... just as I didn't know where your source was sitting in your first post. Please read the sticky at the top of this forum and describe as if you wanted me to build a matching system. Otherwise I can make a score of blind guesses ranging from memory issues, drive issues, file corruption, etc. Sorry there's many possible reasons for this slow response.

I can only suggest some routine trouble shooting.
Repair Disk Permissions.
Create a New User Admin account so all user and app preferences are fresh.
Make source and destination on Desktop to avoid an external drives and/or file paths.
Test in Compressor and, if still not working, test in Quicktime Pro and/or MPEGStream (to eliminate Compressor as the problem)

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Apr 7, 2014 at 2:12:21 pm

I've had this occur to when I'm applying a setting even to just 5-10 clips, it seems to hang for a good 30 seconds and then it'll catch up. I can't imagine applying a setting to 175. I would think using a droplet for that amount of clips would be better.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Apr 7, 2014 at 2:22:21 pm

Thanks Eric,

Since I haven't encountered these delays before, it's comforting to hear you have too. I'll look into the droplet idea, again thanks

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]