FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 files still too big!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin McConnell
H.264 files still too big!
on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:09:04 pm

Hello all,

I am editing a HD Pro Res 422 project. The final video is about 85 minutes long, and will ultimately need to be small enough to play on a streaming service. However, when I run it through Apple Compressor, I have to break it up into two videos to have it process within a 24 hour period, and each of those videos is over 7 GB! When I try to convert these to a mp4 I get horrible quality; I'd really like to keep them as h.264s. How do I get them small enough to use online? I'm sure there is a straightforward way to do this but I'd really value any advice you could give.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: H.264 files still too big!
on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:30:51 pm

Basic rule for all compression.
File size is data rate times duration.

Maybe it's not self evident but if you're using a kilobits per second data rate, the number of seconds and the number of kilobits will determine the total number kilobits.

See sticky post at the top of this forum for more detailed help.

Return to posts index

Erin McConnell
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:18:17 pm

Sorry, Craig! Here is more complete information:

Include the following information
Computer - Mac
Operating system including exact version number: I am not sure; it's a MacBookPro5,5
Software used including version number: FCP 6.0.6
Source codec (file you put in): Apple Pro Res 422
Destination codec (file you want out): H.264 (I think).
Type of destination use: Sending it through Compressor; hoping for a file size that will fit on YouTube. It's about a 75 minute HD video.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:31:00 pm

No settings. Please read my post. Please read the sticky.
Sorry but I feel you're not really reading or understanding what I need.

Sorry but It sounds like you don't understand how Compressor (or compression) works.
YouTube can fit 20GB and no duration limit with accounts in good standing.

Return to posts index

Erin McConnell
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:57:40 pm

My apologies, Craig! It is true that I am still learning a lot, as every project I approach has new items to uncover. I don't mean to be frustrating, and I really appreciate your help. Let me try to be more specific.

I am editing Apple Pro Res 422, HD footage, sized 1920x1080. Item properties says this footage is 13.6 MB/second. I have Final Cut Pro version 6.0.6.

I have a Mac Version OS 10.6.8.

I have Apple Compressor Version 3.0.5.

My video is about 75 minutes long. It has 4-8 lines of .aif audio at any given time.

When I try to export it through the quicktime Compressor setting listed:
"Name: H.264
Description: QuickTime H.264 video with PCM audio at 48 kHz. Settings based off the source resolution and frame-rate," it takes over 24 hours and then seizes up. It does this no matter how much space I clear out on my computer.

If I break the file up into two parts, I can create two 7GB files at the settings above.

I'd like to submit this project in a smaller and more workable format for other users. The final destination of the video is youtube.

Please let me know what other information I can provide, and thank you for your patience!

Return to posts index

Erin McConnell
on Mar 27, 2014 at 7:09:53 pm

In addition to the above, I should add that I will need to send it via Dropbox on its way to youtube. When I attempted to send through the 7GB h.264 files created in the manner above, the recipients could stream it it in dropbox, but not download it. I'm trying to figure out a better size/format to deliver this to them and a small enough file size so that it will not take them all day to upload the file onto youtube.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:38:11 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:47:08 pm

I can't make it any simpler than
[Craig Seeman] "Basic rule for all compression.
File size is data rate times duration.
"

Please explain what part of that is confusing. Honestly I'm keeping this very simple.

Using Firefox you can upload up to 20GB to YouTube.

[Erin McConnell] "When I attempted to send through the 7GB h.264 files created in the manner above, the recipients could stream it it in dropbox, but not download it."

I'm going to guess they don't know how to use dropbox then.

Given what's going on I honestly think you should hire someone to do this for you and show you in the process. It really seems your in a deep quagmire (over your head) as a novice.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 31, 2014 at 12:12:19 am

YOu can also just try exporting the ProRes file out of Quicktime 7 Pro. Open the file and choose Export. In the dialog choose h264. In settings there is a box on the right that allows you to restrict the bitrate. Type in 1100 kbps. Hit ok. Click the Size button and choose 832 x 468. This size/bitrate combo will net pretty good results on such a long clip. Finally under audio, decide if you NEED it to be stereo....where will people watch it really? Just a laptop etc? Then choose 80kbps and choose Mono audio. This is the equivalent of 160kbps Stereo.

Want to make your life really simple? Generate a 1 minute clip from your entire video in ProRes and do some tests on just the one minute. Once you have the quality and frame size you can live with look at the file size of the one minute clip and multiply it by 85. That will be the file size of the final encode.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:54:20 pm

Here are some video tutorials on the basics of compression. Larry is using Compressor v4.1 in one of the videos, but that doesn't matter, the fundamentals are the same and addresses what Craig is saying.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/basics-of-video-compression-video/

http://www.larryjordan.biz/compressor-4-1-video-compression-basics-video/

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Erin McConnell
on Apr 1, 2014 at 8:43:41 pm

Thank you so very much for your advice, gentlemen! I will review the resources you shared with me. I really appreciate the help!

All the best,
Em

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]