FORUMS: list search recent posts

first time using handbrake

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
first time using handbrake
on Feb 27, 2014 at 1:54:11 am

What setting would you modify for best quality to be distributed on 8 Gig usb drives?

The video runs 1 hour 30 minutes. I think you can read rest of settings.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: first time using handbrake
on Feb 27, 2014 at 2:08:24 am

this came in at under 4 gigs. so we have twice as much space if needed for better quality.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Feb 27, 2014 at 3:48:49 pm

Craig - I typically adjust the Constant Quality slider, where it says RF: 20, to between 18 - 20. From what I've read and personally experienced, this is the range that typically gives appropriate bitrate settings. The other important slider is where it says x264 Preset: VeryFast, adjust the slider to the right to Medium or Slow.

You can also change the x264 Tune drop-down to Film if you desire. Jan Ozer, a noted compressionist does not use this option, but many other people do. I haven't really noticed but difference either way but.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:46:33 pm

Thanks. I have a lot of headroom in terms of size is there an adjustment to bit rate that would increase quality and not go over the 8 gig limit?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:18:45 pm

I just tried those setting on a 3.66 gig file which got reduced to 94MB and it looks really good. I made the slider really slow. Does this increase file size or just improves quality?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:59:32 am

I wouldn't go any lower than "slow"; the tradeoff between the amount of time it takes to encode and the quality boost you get is not worth it.

Using a bitrate calculator shows that you can go up to a bitrate of 11,500 kbps and be under 8GB with an 1.5 hour video.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 8, 2014 at 2:34:30 pm

Thanks Eric, I encoded the 1.5 video in handbrake and it looks very good. I stayed with your suggestions and didn't play with a manual bit rate setting. Changing it to slow it came in just over 4gigs and looks to my eyes very close to the original. At least on a 21.5 inch computer screen. We're throwing in a bunch of stills as a bonus so we'll have plenty of room for those, though we might need to compress them as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]