FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor is adding ONE random frame to the beggining of my videos... why?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Compressor is adding ONE random frame to the beggining of my videos... why?
on Feb 17, 2014 at 9:09:11 am

I am exporting a video with the settings depicted in the screenshot below.

For some UNKNOWN AND IDIOTIC REASON, compressor is grabbing one random frame from the middle of my video and adding it to the front of my video.

You can see it in all of it's stupid action here:

http://howtofightnow.com/check-your-****-email/

This causes an odd flash, and just generally looks horrible.

Why is it doing this inexplicable and absolutely unnecessary stupidity?

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
Re: Compressor is adding ONE random frame to the beggining of my videos... why?
on Feb 17, 2014 at 9:11:43 am

Here are my settings... sorry:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj7uyi6d229ydlw/Screenshot%202014-02-17%2003.41.4...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:36:34 pm

Have you upgraded to 4.1.1?
Is this issue specific to a source codec or file?
What is your workflow, send to Compressor from FCPX, direct import?

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:26:33 pm

I ended up solving the issue...

Yes, I have upgraded to 4.1.1
Workflow was to export the highest quality h264 file possble and send it to compressor.

I was forced to export the files as quicktime... basically converting the file to ProRes before putting it into compressor.

This was retarded, as the increase in file size from the source media and subseqent compression caused a reduction in quality.

I simply learned adobe media encoder, chose the appropriate h264/mp4 setting right off the bat, and exported a file that is not only a much HIGHER QUALITY, but also significantly smaller than the file resulting from compressor exports.

The bottom line is this... despite having spent a long time building a network to distribute processing, and upgrading operating systems on "non-upgradeable" machines to do so... I'm DONE WITH COMPRESSOR.

Compression shouldn't take hours and hours anyhow... the only reason it's necessary to distribute processing with compressor is Apple ProRes.

No more taking up piles of memory with this god-aweful codec. No more stupid-long exports. Adobe handled everythign beautifully, and quickly at the absolute highest setting.

I feel like I've wasted a lot of time... but that's all over now!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:39:32 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:40:14 pm

[Travis Roesler] "Workflow was to export the highest quality h264 file possble and send it to compressor.

I was forced to export the files as quicktime... basically converting the file to ProRes before putting it into compressor."

You should export ProRes for Compressor. It's generally not a good idea to use a heavily compressed h.264 file as a source. Not sure why you'd even consider it. Fundamentally to b avoided IMHO short uploading to YouTube or Vimeo and the like.

Quicktime? That's the .mov container. ProRes and H.264 can both be Quicktime.

[Travis Roesler] "but also significantly smaller than the file resulting from compressor exports. "

File size is pretty much a function of duration and data rate. There's some variance with over/under shoot depending on content and app but there really isn't much a difference as the math involving duration and data is a given.

A 1 hour long video encoded at 800kbps is going to be about the same size regardless of the encoder. There's a small variance, that's all.

You might want to read this
http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=94026&Pag...

Overall, at its best, the Apple codec produces better quality than the MainConcept codec, which is the only H.264 codec used in the Adobe Media Encoder

and

While there were some outliers, like the exceptionally high motion clip shown in Figure 7, for the most part the Apple codec was only slightly behind x264.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:34:27 pm

This article doesn't factor in the source media. If you are editing in ProRes, perhaps this would apply. If you don't edit in ProRes, you have to attempt to reencode in prores using Adobe media encoder which is simply not to be taken for granted... I've tried every possible setting, and the output is never good.

As you try to run through optional outputs in AMS for ProRes, you'll see in the preview pane that it just doesn't quite add up... somehow "fit to window" yields a "2010 x 1080" frame... how the hell does that happen?

You end up with a subpar conversion to ProRes, which yields a lengthy and subpar conversion to h264 mp4... in addition to taking up massive amounts of data.

Additionally, that guy is changing his key frames to something bizarre and running his tests. Then he claims that Adobe's h264 encoding is inferior... where the hell is THAT picture in the article? The only clear quality difference was between h264 and apple prores, with apple clearly sucking.

I sure as hell didn't see any picture comparing adobe's h264 encoding with compressors 264 encoding... and I would be HIGHLY surprised to find it any different.

Also, what the hell is this:

"Unfortunately, you can’t use the x264Encoder with MP4 or M4V output, since it’s a QuickTime plug-in which doesn’t work with the other outputs."

What?!

If I still used final cut, compressor would be the way to go. Since premiere is by FAR a superior editing platform (after 7 years on FCP), compressor just doens't make sense any more.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:44:09 pm

Also... all of the CABAC and CALCV options are available for h264... so why are they being COMPARED to h264.

Does this guy even know what he's doing?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:54:08 pm

Far be it for me to defend Jan Ozer's resume but he is a prominent presenter at Streaming Media who has also authored several books and scores of articles on the subject. He certainly knows what he's doing and why.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:53:44 pm

Yeah man, just stop. You might as well have just asked if Rondo or Kobe knows how to play basketball.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Feb 19, 2014 at 6:50:45 pm

Ok... fair enough... and trust me, I have no idea what I'm doing anyhow, but I just don't understand how h264 is supposed to differ from the entropy mode which is used to encode the h264.

The bottom line is that I'm angry and unreasonable.

So what is his final verdict here? Export in h264 with the entropy mode being CABAC? Where does prores come in? Was he originally editing in prores?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]