compression quality of blue-ray

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Sabiston
compression quality of blue-ray
on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:28:09 pm
Last Edited By Bob Sabiston on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:28:22 pm

Hello,

I have some motion graphics that in the past have looked pretty bad on DVD, due to the compression. These are flat shapes of color, but they have small black outlines, and there is a lot of detail. I have used Final Cut and/or compressor to do the compression in the past. My guess is that it has looked bad probably because the compression is meant to deal with photographic material rather than sharply defined computer graphics.

It has been a few years since I did this, however, and I am wondering if blu-ray would be capable of representing the graphics closer to what they look like uncompressed. I'm not really an expert on compression -- is blu-ray better suited to handle this sort of thing? The images would be 1920x1080, 29.97 fps. I appreciate any opinions/advice.

Thanks
Bob

Return to posts index

Timothy Cooper
Re: compression quality of blue-ray
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:26:05 am

Hi everyone,

I have a 4-plus hour documentary I'm readying for submission to international film festivals, beginning next month. I cut the video on FCP, using various video formats, including 720 x 480, and 1080, plus still photographs sized at about 1200. I'd like to get the entire 4-plus hours onto a single disc for viewing comfort. Is it possible to compress, yet retain best quality, and transfer it onto a dual-layer DVD or will I have to go to Blu-Ray. Whichever, what's the best way to go over to DVD or Blu-Ray from FCP, given the length?

Also, whenever I've previously transferred to Quick Time for instant viewing purposes, the zoom-ins on my still photographs bleed beyond the 1:85 aspect ratio that I'm using and are inappropriately visible. Is there any way to crop any image beyond beyond the 1:85 aspect ratio so that it doesn't appear when i transfer to DVD or Blu-Ray?

Much thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]