FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to export H264 _interlaced_ for broadcast of 1080i source - How in Mac/FCP/QT?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stu aull
Need to export H264 _interlaced_ for broadcast of 1080i source - How in Mac/FCP/QT?
on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:07:32 pm

Hi All
Mac -based FCP7 1080p material (TV ad)
Broadcasters require H264 INTERLACED for airing (fed to their Servers).
Searched Forums here and Google but nothing seems to address this!
What I tried:
1) converted 1080P to 1080i in QT Pro. no problem there. Wanted to start with an interlaced source...
2) import 1080i BACK to QT Pro, select H264 output, did NOT check "De-interlace" box:
output (according to my MediaInfo app) is _progressive_ (tho it does acknowledge "Top Field First")
3) import 1080P file to Compressor (3.5), select H264 there: no options NOT to de-interlace, BUT there is a setting in Frame Controls to Select "Top Field First" (instead of "Progressive").
Result: STILL outputs a Progressive file (again, according to my MediaInfo app)
4) have X264 codec in my Compressor pgm, but same problem.

I know there IS such a thing as H264i, but I can not find any way to make it!
Can anyone suggest a software package or workaround with above tools, etc that I can generate this?

Thanks!

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Need to export H264 _interlaced_ for broadcast of 1080i source - How in Mac/FCP/QT?
on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:23:57 pm

It's been a while but if memory serves me I did this for a spot delivery using Telestream Episode to Comcast.

Return to posts index

stu aull
Re: Need to export H264 _interlaced_ for broadcast of 1080i source - How in Mac/FCP/QT?
on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:28:46 pm

Craig-
thanks!
hoping there is an Option that does not require a $500+ buy to solve!!
;)

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:13:22 pm

You might investigate Handbrake although I have no personal experience in creating H.264 interlaced with it.

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Feb 4, 2014 at 8:39:31 pm

Hi Craig-
Quality of files created is pretty abysmal :(
Of all the amazing file-types I can generate from QTPro7, I am kind of stunned it can't pull this off.
H264 DOES support interlaced. How did this slip thru the cracks?

*sigh*

thanks tho!

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 4, 2014 at 8:48:37 pm

Certainly H.264 is being used for broadcast delivery. It's amongst Comcast's specs and many others.

I'm not sure how you're judging quality assuming you've made an interlaced file but playing interlaced on a progressive only computer monitor is not a proper way to judge.

Quicktime has been out of development for some time. I don't think it was ever intended for H.264 broadcast encoding. I don't think it slipped through the cracks. I don't think there was any reason to pay attention to H.264 interlaced at that time.

Telestream Episode Pro is designed for encoding for broadcast delivery. That's why I use it.

Generally the quality from Handbrake is excellent. Exploiting the full value of x264 encoding is not simple though.

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:18:19 pm

Hi Craig
Perhaps I am not using Handbrake correctly (or there is a PRO version I may not be using?) but results were pretty soft. Nothing compared to what I can output via QTPro. These were all vetted on a normal HD screen, not a computer monitor.
You say that handbrake is _X_264? not H? Have the X264 encoder in my Compressor folder, but again, no apparent way to "switch ON" interlacing.

thanks for your replies.

cheers
Stu

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:52:02 pm

Handbrake's x264 codec "blows the doors" off of Quicktime (Apple's H.264 codec). It's not even close except at high data rates. I can only guess you're not understanding the Handbrake settings. They're not easy to understand. Most just stick with the presets and modify what they do understand (like data rate).
x264 encoding is more or less the "gold standard" in H.264 encoding.

Other programs like Episode and Squeeze now offer x264. Apple won't license third party encoders though. Supposedly their new High Profile CABAC encoding comes close (but not quite there) in Compressor 4.1.

The x264 encoder you're finding in Quicktime Pro is EOL (development stopped around 2011) so I don't doubt it was never developed for H.264 broadcast encoding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]