FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which FLV is best for streaming PAL 16:9 footage?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Which FLV is best for streaming PAL 16:9 footage?
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37:03 am
Last Edited By Niklas Wikman on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:39:06 am

My footage is DV50, PAL 16:9.

The client wish to have FLV files. Exact specs are not yet set, but I have suggested that they go for 640x360@25fps and a bitrate of 1500 kbit/s.

I do have both Episode 5.3.2 and Episode 6.3.1, running under 10.6.8.
I also have the CS5 package, including Premiere Pro, which I believe can create FLV files?
(I would of course have to import my DV50 ref movies first).

I have really not worked with FLV before, so any tips/suggestions on which FLV to use is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Which FLV is best for streaming PAL 16:9 footage?
on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:03:18 pm

I'll start by questioning the premise. Why would someone need FLV when H.264 .mp4 is currently more common in Flash. Granted some might put H.264 in FLV (which really should be F4V) but that's not standard and, as far as I know, serves no purpose. There's still some motive for VP6 FLV if one needs alpha channel support. H.264 is more efficient (better quality at same bit rate or equal quality at lower bit rate) than VP6 is generally. H.264 in FLV is something I'd avoid given potential metadata issues (if this is what they mean).

Clients generally aren't technicians so I never assume the client knows what they "need." If they can articulate a sound technical or workflow reason, of course respect that. Often they're just reciting something they heard years back and have little understanding about the changes in technology.

That said, you can certainly do a VP6 FLV (and determine whether VP6-S or VP6-E is more suited). Any settings though should be based on intended target so I'm not sure what your suggestions are based on.

BTW using FLV means you'll lose the iOS market and a good chunk of Android as well (as Flash support was dropped in recent Android builds). All the more reason why it doesn't make sense (depending on intended use) to use FLV. MP4 can be used both in Flash and HTML5 (mobile).

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
Re: Which FLV is best for streaming PAL 16:9 footage?
on Jan 16, 2014 at 7:01:10 pm

Well, I'm just the "video guy", that has produced the footage.

I'm sure there are a number of technical reasons for the FLV specs. I do know that the web guys are moving to HTML5, but my client cannot wait for that, thus the FLV format request.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]