COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Compressing before re-compressing
on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:44:23 pm

Hey Guys,

OSX 10.7.5
Using Final Cut Pro

So here's the basic issue: I will be exporting one original movie file from Final Cut Pro which will then be loaded into Easy Video Suite. "EVS" will then take that video file and export it into 4 different versions... each with a specific purpose (i.e. mobile viewing vs broadband.)

I asked the support reps over at EVS exactly how I should export the original movie and they didn't have a very good answer for me. All they said was that the larger the file I put into EVS, the longer the whole process is going to take.

I know that it's generally always better to export from the highest quality footage possible, I'm just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for something like this.

Thanks for your time!

---Trav

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing before re-compressing
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:17:07 pm

Can EVS handle ProRes? That's what I'd recommend.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:19:48 pm

Ok... if it takes an unreasonable amount of time to export, what would you do to make the file smaller so that EVS can handle it more easily?

---Trav

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:30:46 pm

h264 at 15,000 kbps is going to look good and hold up to further encoding assuming you retain frame size etc. We use higher bitrate h264 a lot for an intermediary codec....including station deliveries.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:38:13 pm

Rich, thanks a lot for the reply!

Cool... so basically, all I need to do is set the dimensions of the frame and the data rate?

Should I go directly to 640x360 or use 1280x720 for the dimensions? I typically stream at 640 on the site, so none of the videos will actually be played any larger than that... I suppose unless they click the "full screen" button.

These are still great guidelines, so I'm glad to have something to work with! Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]