FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital Intermediate for 35mm

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Rosemark
Digital Intermediate for 35mm
on Dec 4, 2013 at 10:22:04 pm

Greetings,

I am about to prep some footage for editorial and I need some advice about maintaining a High-Quality work-flow before beginning the process.

Right now I have a 63,000 individual PSD's sequenced and labeled in-order to be turned into actual video files. The PSD's were generated from 35mm Negatives, are RGB with 24-bit color depth. The files are approximately 3474 × 1332.

I want to preserve the highest quality in in the DI. I would go with the "Uncompressed 10-bit" option for exporting, but this produces files which are too large and unwatchable for my system. What compressions should I look into for my purpose? I am concerned mostly about color information.

Thanks in advance! Let me know if you need any more information from me to answer.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Digital Intermediate for 35mm
on Dec 6, 2013 at 4:37:02 pm

What will the final deliverable be? Are you on Mac or PC? Are the PSD sequences like image sequences scanned from 35mm moving video, or actual still photos?

I would go with a ProRes workflow using the Proxy for offline editing then ProRes HQ for the final.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Rosemark
on Dec 6, 2013 at 6:12:05 pm

This are actual stills taken from celluloid film strips. Mac. Pro-res was my default, but it is still a compression none the less. I will loose some quality won't I?

The final product will be a 35mm release print with 4K digital distro.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 7, 2013 at 2:15:34 am

Hmm....ProRes is really for video clips, not stills. How about Tiff format with LZW compression? I'm still not sure what you are working with as the source files...are they single images (one to a file) or like a filmstrip (a bunch of stills strung together into a clip)?

ProRes isn't the trick for stills. JPEG 2000 is very good especially at that resolution.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Rosemark
on Dec 9, 2013 at 6:46:48 pm

I am sorry I feel like I have been non-discrpitive in my problem. I have 63,000 PSD's (sourced from .tif) and I need to convert them to a video format which is the least destructive. PROress422 4:4:4 was going to be my goto, but it is still a compression and I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any options that might deliver a higher image/color quality.

Best.

D.M. Rosemark

Return to posts index

Dustin Rosemark
on Dec 6, 2013 at 6:12:38 pm

Oh! and thanks for responding!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]