FORUMS: list search recent posts

New some advice to eliminate judder on a pan of a panoramic drawing

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy Hill
New some advice to eliminate judder on a pan of a panoramic drawing
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:27:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I am having a devil of a time with a section of a 30-minute film I am uploading to my Vimeo PRO account. The clip features a long, animated pan on a drawing. No matter what tweaks or various programs I use for compression the image stutters across the screen. The rest of the film looks fine. It is just this pesky section. Any suggestions you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. here are the settings I have tried and here is a link to the clip:

Setting 1
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 1280
Height: 720
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Selected: 23.976
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Codec Type: MPEG-4 Video
Multi-pass: Off, frame reorder: Off

Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 100
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Key frame interval: 24
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25
Average data rate: 5.12 (Mbps)

Setting 2
Same as above except codec type which is H.264

I have also tried the Adobe Media Encoder CC settings for Vimeo and experimented with 30fps out of desperation. In addition I have tried CBR bit rates and 1-pass and 2-pass VBR

http://vimeo.com/user18035257/review/79303372/c94ced7d85

Password is test

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: New some advice to eliminate judder on a pan of a panoramic drawing
on Nov 13, 2013 at 10:58:44 pm

The problem appears to be a playback issue. I downloaded your submitted file and the transcoded Vimeo videos. There are no visible issues when playing from hard drive or when reviewing the files frame-by-frame. This leads me to conclude that your file is OK. When viewed online the first play tends to stutter but gets smoother upon repeated viewings. In addition, the SD video plays more smoothly. This would indicate a bandwidth issue. The transcoded Vimeo 720p file is encoded at over 3900kbps, which is relatively high for web streaming.

Just to verify the export settings I transcoded your file to H.264 and it exhibited the same behavior when uploaded to Vimeo (use the same password as the original file).

You might try reducing the bitrate during this portion of the video. Assuming the graphic can't be changed, try reformatting it to display in letterbox at 1280x640 or 1280x480 with a slower pan.

Return to posts index

Cindy Hill
Re: New some advice to eliminate judder on a pan of a panoramic drawing
on Nov 14, 2013 at 12:31:56 am

Thank you so much, Ivan, for your advice. I will indeed try your suggestions. I am also working on a backup plan for that portion of the film.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]