FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT (?) Flaw in Quicktime 7 Pro Player?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
OT (?) Flaw in Quicktime 7 Pro Player?
on Nov 8, 2013 at 4:38:21 pm

This week I was reviewing mp4's compressed using the Apple Compressor iPad default setting using the Quicktime 7 Pro Player and encountered a lot of intermittent stuttering on what were supposed to be smooth camera pans. (This iPad copy would be used to present to a large audience on a big screen projector.)

Because the stutter would be a little different each time I felt convinced there was nothing intrinsically flawed in the file but rather a playback performance problem. After loads of tests we discovered the playback was consistently flawless if we used the default Quicktime player instead of the Qt 7 Pro Player. Lesson learned but what do you all make of this?

This iPad spec screening copy is being delivered to a high-end A-V co. I have no idea what they would normally use to play a Qt back but believe the above test indicated the file is not compromised and can play back perfectly.

Input welcome.

Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: OT (?) Flaw in Quicktime 7 Pro Player?
on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:29:47 pm

Quicktime 7 Pro is End of Life. It uses Quicktime frameworks which is End of Life.
All Apple media, both iOS and computer, is based on AVFoundation CoreMedia.

On Windows, Window Media Player 12 plays back H.264 mp4 and mov files natively so Quicktime on Windows is not needed for those files (but might be for other types such as ProRes).

Also I'd recommend if you're using Compressor is should be Compressor 4.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:42:58 pm

Thanks Craig, how long has this been the case?

In a reply to a posting I made this year (almost sure that recently) someone seemingly in the know, referred to the standard Qt Player as 'junk'.

Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:52:04 pm

Mac OS 10.7 was the first AVFoundation based OS.
FCPX is AVFoundation based for example.

While Compressor 3 has iOS device presets (which are mp4 based), Compressor 4 added the ability to make custom settings for H.264 .mp4 encodes (Compressor 3 only allows H.264 .mov customization).

Quicktime 7 Pro allowed for H.264 .mp4 though but that didn't move to Compressor until version 4 with FCPX release.

Quicktime X has no Pro version and only has preset based encoders. It does not allow for Quicktime plugins which is one reason why Perian and x264 third party Quicktime development stopped. This may also mean MPEGStreamclip will die soon. Adobe FMLE is also still Quicktime based and Adobe has given no indication that they'll move to AVFoundation CoreMedia.

Basically Quicktime development began to wind down by early 2011, almost 3 years ago now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]