FORUMS: list search recent posts

Acquiring Footage from DigiBeta and Beta SP

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
W. Lawrence Stevens
Acquiring Footage from DigiBeta and Beta SP
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:25:12 am

Hi Folks:

We have decided to bite the bullet and capture about 200 hours of SD programming we have produced over the years currently only existing on 60 minute DigiBeta and BetaSP tapes. The vendor has asked us to specify the format we want for the digital files and my first thought is ProRes 422 since we work on FCP 7. Should I be considering another more versatile and universal digital capture format? We obviously only want to pay this expense once so we want the highest quality capture (file size is no issue) with the most versatility.

At some point, we would want to up convert this material as well so quality is key. Any good recommendations?

Many thanks for any input.

Steven

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D3
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
Re: Acquiring Footage from DigiBeta and Beta SP
on Oct 28, 2013 at 1:50:37 pm

Hi!

ProRess 422 will be perfect. Don´t bother with ProRess HQ or LT or anything, just plain ProRess!
I´ve been using it for similar cases for years with no problem.

"By doing it yourself you get exactly as it happens to outcome."

Return to posts index

Clement Hobbs
Re: Acquiring Footage from DigiBeta and Beta SP
on Nov 1, 2013 at 9:33:15 pm

You may want to consider upconverting on ingest through a Terranex. You end up with a very good quality HD file that can be used for SD needs as well.

If you have any 24fps originated material that now contains pulldown, try to remove it on ingest to create full progressive frames in your master file. If you can't get this done on ingest, you can do it after through software like Tachyon by Cinnafilm which does an excellent job with messy cadence issues.

Are you planning on using these files as masters for digital distribution?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]