FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aquiring Footage from DVD for Editing into Documentry

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Martin
Aquiring Footage from DVD for Editing into Documentry
on Sep 16, 2013 at 4:48:57 pm

Hello All -

I'm editing on a feature documentary which involves a number of source materials, but whose primary source is the AF-100. We're offline editing in Avid (DNX36) and will conform back to the camera original files for final color correction, then master to an HD file (not certain which format yet).

We just received some archival footage that only exists on DVD. It was shot Mini-DV, captured, and then burned to DVD (in Mpeg2 format). The original tapes have since been lost. I'm looking to get the footage off the DVDs in the highest quality format possible.

I've tried Handbrake but it really mucks up the image no matter what settings I use:
screenshot2013-09-16at9.39.16am.png

I'm now trying Mpeg Streamclip, but one of two things goes wrong. I can get the entire image but it's stretched, OR I get a slightly cropped image that's a tiny bit squeezed. Anyone out there have advise? Or should I be taking this to a professional shop with hardware?

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: Aquiring Footage from DVD for Editing into Documentry
on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:35:24 pm

First, image quality should be better if you can get the original tapes. The following discussion is based on using the DVD files.

Some NLEs can process mpeg/VOB files directly. However, if your NLE requires the MPEG footage to be transcoded, create an intermediate file using ProRes or uncompressed 422 YUV. PNG and JPEG2000 image sequences would also work, but there is risk of color conversion artifacts when transferring from YCC to RGB color.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]