FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding AVI to h264 good idea?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Arthur
Encoding AVI to h264 good idea?
on Sep 11, 2013 at 8:31:45 am

Hello, wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but was confident someone here could help shed some light onto my situation.

My question in short is, is it a good idea to encode to h264 from an AVI?

I'm in the ever uphill battle for quality on youtube. I've almost got there but I'm not quite there yet. I've seen better, and I know I can achieve better.

Here's my latest test render:

My main thing now I guess is that there's some gross artifacting going on. A decent amount in the first clip, and a little in the second and fourth. Which is what led me to my question. I was searching around on what could cause artifacting and saw someone on these forums suggesting that h264 in an AVI shell wasn't a great idea.

I edit in vegas, and I could always render in main concept AVC. But the problem is my method of getting the source material leaves me with a large sequence of tga files (screenshots basicly, specifically 240 per second of footage) and I use virtual dub to string those together. As far as I can tell virtualdub only supports AVI.

Anyways, sorry if slightly rambley. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]