FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi Stream AVI File to H.264

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Aguilar
Multi Stream AVI File to H.264
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:13:34 am

Hi everyone - hope that I put this in the right forum - I have the oddest issue and I cannot think of anywhere else to turn but you experts here on The Cow...

My future father in law (yea, the pressure is really on for this to get solved) did some race car driving experience and they gave him a video of the session. It's an AVI file that pretty much nothing but VLC on a Windows Computer will open. The file automatically opens TWO windows - one angle is of him driving, the other is of the view out the windshield of the car. He wants to take the file(s) and edit it in iMovie to make himself a little video using both angles...problem is trying to get this to actually go into a format iMovie will read.

I have done all kinds of things to "see" the two streams in separate manners - Mpeg stream clip only sees one, Final Cut wants nothing to do with it (even with Perian in there), Adobe - nope-- the only way to see the streams is when you play the video in VLC player.

I located a random article about FFMPEG being able to seperate and encode two files - I was actually able to do this - and got the files to MP4's but those files won't open in anything in the MAC world and show only a black screen. In Windows, it works in...guess..VLC!

I feel myself going in circles here and thought to turn to you all to see if anyone has any experience with an AVI file containing two streams and how to "demux" those streams so that you can create two separate files from them - and even further get them to a format that iMovie will work with.

The streams are low res - not HD at all, so that makes things a little less complex and file sizes are manageable.

Thoughts ? Ideas? Suggestions?

thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Multi Stream AVI File to H.264
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:51:42 am

Use VLC 2.0.8 on Mac and see if you can play the file.
While the file is playing in VLC use Window>Media Information.
In the pop up windows that opens click on Codec Details.
You should then see Stream 0, Stream 1, Stream 2 or something like that.
You may have to select each video window while their playing to see the info for each.
Open the disclosure triangle and report the information in each.
That will tell the codec on other information for the video streams.

If you can't do this on Mac than do it on Windows using VLC 2.0.8 there.

Return to posts index

Chris Aguilar
on Sep 10, 2013 at 5:25:43 am

thanks so much for your message. I did as you suggested and installed VLC on the MAC and opened the file - still only see one stream. But interestingly if I go to VIDEO--> VIdeo Track--- I see a track one and track two, but selecting either one or the other does not change the view.

I have attached the screen shot of the codecs for you to check out...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 10, 2013 at 6:27:21 am

Since you have Perian installed and FCP, you should have Quicktime 7 Pro.
See if you can open it in Quicktime 7 Pro.
Even if you don't see any video, go to Window>Show Movie Properties
See if it lists both video tracks.

Return to posts index

Chris Aguilar
on Sep 18, 2013 at 12:28:18 am

Genius, thank you - I am able to isolate the tracks in Quicktime 7 and export to H.264 which should work in his imovie ...thank you again so much

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:19:32 am

Good to hear it worked. It's an old trick I haven't used in a while. I had run into similar type clips a long while back.

Return to posts index

Josh Mackey
on Jan 23, 2015 at 3:16:03 am

I have a similar problem... Have AVI files with dual video streams. I can see the streams in VLC but cannot export the separate streams. Have tried several techniques and programs with no luck... Even tried QT7 and selecting the separate video tracks but QT7 only shows one track to export... Suggestions? Need to separate AVI dual video streams...

Thanks,
Josh Mackey
912-441-2856
http://www.blurrmotion.com
joshmackey@earthlink.net
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5535629/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/joshmackeyblurr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]