FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC MP4 Encoding on Mac - Adobe CC ?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Hensen
AVC MP4 Encoding on Mac - Adobe CC ?
on Sep 5, 2013 at 9:35:31 pm

I have seen some conflicting information as to whether or not making an MP4 with an AVC codec is possible in AME CC or Premiere Pro CC, and if so is it possible on both PC and MAC platforms? Just PC?

I am currently looking to find a simple way (paid software, plugin, codec or otherwise) to encode videos in this format using either PC or MAc (MAC preferably). I've heard that people have used Adobe Premier on PCs in the past to do this. Is it possible to encode a MP4 with an AVC codec on a MAC? Are there other options to achieve this capability outside of Adobe CC, if downloading a plugin for this purpose is not possible?

Thanks!

- Jon

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: AVC MP4 Encoding on Mac - Adobe CC ?
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:24:35 pm

AVC is simply another name for h.264. There are many options on both Mac and Windows platforms for encoding h.264 mp4 files, including Adobe Media Encoder, MPEG Streamclip (free), Sorenson Squeeze, Telestream Episode, and others.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:29:49 pm

Even Apple Compressor 4 can do H.264(AVC) .mp4.
Compressor 3 can't though.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:32:59 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Even Apple Compressor 4 can do H.264(AVC) .mp4.
Compressor 3 can't though.
"

That's good to know. I'm still using Compressor 3, and didn't realize that things had changed in v4.

Return to posts index

Sharad Patel
on Dec 8, 2014 at 10:47:06 pm

LAte to this thread... but what preset in Compressor 4 will create a .mp4 extension that uses AVC encoding? I'm finding most clients require that exact file type instead of the more common presets on bot Adobe Media Encoder and Apple Compressor that result in an H264 .mov file that does not identify as AVC.

My work:
http://www.krop.com/sharad/

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensen
on Sep 6, 2013 at 5:55:40 pm

From my understanding, you're right in the sense that the terminology is relatively ambiguous, but there is in fact a delineation between AVC and H.264. The main difference being file size.

We have had success using software like Camtasia Studio 8 on PC to encode AVC codec MP4s. When using the same encoding specs using something like MPEG streamclip, while having the only difference be the strict H.264 codec, file size is in some cases triple.

I am wondering if there is a way to access and use this particular AVC codec in a MAC setting. Or adversely if there is more sophisticated way of working with H.264 to achieve tiny (I mean real tiny!) file sizes and exceptional quality.

For context....
1.) We have created one 30min 1080p Apple ProRes native quicktime. (~16GB)
2.) From there we've encoded that file to a 640x360 H.264 .MOV (~250mb)
3.) From there we've had to use Camtasia Studio 8 on PC to make a .MP4 with AVC codec (~50mb)

So if anyone has a better way to get from a 16GB full res 1080p .MOV down to a ~50MB friendly MP4, I am more than interested!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 6, 2013 at 7:28:10 pm

You might find this post interesting and/or relevant. Note that the x264 encoder provides the best quality at low bit rates (much lower than some other encoders):

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/20/869180

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensen
on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:11:08 pm

This is great, Alan. Thanks!

I may come back with a follow up on workflow/procedure after some research.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:50:56 pm

x264 is probably the best of the widely available H.264 encoders.
MainConcept is a bit behind.
Apple's H.264 is about the worst of those widely available.
You also need factor in things like Profile (Baseline, Main, High) as well as Entropy math used (CAVLC, CABAC). and there are a few other factors as well. Just take a look at the settings available in Handbrake to see the number of settings that can impact quality.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:47:29 pm

[Jonathan Hensen] "while having the only difference be the strict H.264 codec, file size is in some cases triple.
"

There's some misinformation there.
File size is primarily a function of data rate times duration.
That's the same for all codecs I know of.

AVC and H.264 (MPEG4 Part 10) are the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC
H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 or AVC (Advanced Video Coding)

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensen
on Sep 6, 2013 at 10:05:01 pm

Thanks, Craig. It's becoming much clearer and I'm looking into x264 to possibly save the day here.

For clarity's sake, here's a screenshot of the video with AVC coding. The result is quite impressive for the file size. It was created on PC using Camtasia Studio 8. What do you think is the best way to achieve this result using a MAC platform?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:55:24 am

I'd bet Camtasia is using x264 on Windows.
I do note that it's only using Baseline Level 3.0 and CAVLC (CABAC No). VBR encode.
640x360 232kbps which is very low.
Good quality at that low bitrate would have to be x264.

On Mac there's a free (but likely deprecated) Quicktime x264 component. Apple has switched from Quicktime to AVFoundation (CoreMedia). That component would work in Compressor or Quicktime Pro.
Otherwise you can use the free Handbrake which uses x264.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]