FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg1 for a client with old machines

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Denegre
mpeg1 for a client with old machines
on Sep 4, 2013 at 5:11:07 pm

I have a client that's asking for compression settings I can seem to get out of Compressor. They've stated mpeg2,3 or 4 or any other format will not work with their ancient systems. Here's the specs they gave me:

MPEG-1 Muxed

Video:
MPEG-1
640x360 - maintain aspect ratio
Data Rate: 2000 kbps

Audio:
MPEG Layer 2 Audio
Data Rate: 256 kbps

Currently mpeg-1 on compressor outputs to 352x288. The data rate at 1.8 mb is fine. I tried the another method I saw which involved modifying a custom mpeg-1 setting. I edited the output dimensions in the source text file itself and tried it out - even though Inspector tells me the frame size is what I want (1920x1080), the end video produced is still locked down to 352x288.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: mpeg1 for a client with old machines
on Sep 4, 2013 at 6:15:34 pm

It's true that ancient (truly ancient) systems are best served with MPEG1. Compressor has very limited MPEG1 support. I'm not sure about free utilities but I know Telestream Episode and I believe Sorenson Squeeze has much better MPEG1 support.

Return to posts index

Dan Denegre
on Sep 4, 2013 at 6:48:42 pm

I think I figured it out - I used "Any Video Converter" and it seems to write higher res mpeg1 files fairly well. It's off to the client now so we'll see what they say!

Return to posts index

Dan Denegre
on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:10:00 pm

Darn, it looks like the client had this error:

Windows Media Player error C00D11B1

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:21:26 am

If the client uses QuickTime, try Sorenson or Sorenson Video 3. You might need to raise the black level or gamma to compensate for color shifting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]