FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I be worried about compressing Vimeo clips so they play on 2006 Macbook?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Vannen
Should I be worried about compressing Vimeo clips so they play on 2006 Macbook?
on Sep 4, 2013 at 11:32:07 am

So this is a question about where to draw the line in terms of compression.

I use an old white Macbook from 2006 for everyday web access. I'm struggling to compress HD footage so that it won't drop frames / stutter when played on this machine.

(I edit and compress work on a recent high spec Mac Pro, just to be clear.)

Obviously I want my footage to be accessible to whoever wants to view it, but am I going too far in trying to make it play well on such an old low spec machine? what's the minimum spec of machine I should expect people to have when viewing video these days?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Should I be worried about compressing Vimeo clips so they play on 2006 Macbook?
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:42:45 pm

If you are using Vimeo they have control over the final encode. You should follow Vimeo's recommendations.
https://vimeo.com/help/compression
If the viewer has trouble playing back HD, they can disable HD playback in the Vimeo player.

Return to posts index

David Vannen
Re: Should I be worried about compressing Vimeo clips so they play on 2006 Macbook?
on Sep 6, 2013 at 12:48:25 am

Thanks, that give me the reassurance I needed.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
1280 or 1920 for Vimeo
on Sep 8, 2013 at 5:21:13 pm

Are you guys typically encoding 1920 x 1080 for Vimeo/YouTube or 1280? We are doing a 10,000 mbps 1280 x 720 h264 (sometimes x264) for both YouTube and Vimeo and so far so good.

Most computer monitors out there are not able to display full 1920 x 1080 yet....getting there, but seems overkill for most casual users to need/want more than a nicely encoded (and produced) video in 1280 on a computer.

Thoughts?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]