FORUMS: list search recent posts

30fps to 24fps for DCP conversions

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paddy Uglow
30fps to 24fps for DCP conversions
on Aug 21, 2013 at 6:19:55 pm

Hi all,
I supply 24fps mp4s to our projection dept for them to turn into DCPs using QubeMaster Express. I've got a 30fps stop-frame animation, which I don't want to have to slow down. What's my best bet for keeping it the same speed but making it look as good as possible at 24fps.
Oh, I'm upscaling from 960px wide to 1920x1080 too!
I've used Premiere CS6 and AME to export at 24fps using frame blending (there's smooth lateral movement through most of the animation!) which isn't too bad. But is there something cleverer than that which I can try? I've got QuickTime Pro too. I'm running OS X 7.
Thanks in anticipation!

- Paddy, UK

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
Re: 30fps to 24fps for DCP conversions
on Aug 22, 2013 at 3:55:29 pm

Doing my classic of answering my own questions - hopefully it'll be useful to someone else.
In this example, After Effects CS6 did a pretty good job.
1. I set up a composition to the size and frame rate I wanted
2. I turned on Layer/Frame Blending/ Pixel Motion
3. I output as Animation codec at the size/rate I wanted - I could have gone straight to mp4 format (which is what I wanted), but I wasn't sure if the AE exported mp4 would work with the DCP converter, whereas I knew the QuickTime Pro mp4 would, so I opened the Animation one in QTP to do the compression.

It's not perfect (perfection's impossible without someone probably redrawing the whole thing at 24fps, or I could have slowed the whole thing down and not lost any frames), but it's LOADS better than the Adobe Media Encoder export with frame blending. If I go through frame-by-frame I can see a few dodgy draws, where elements are wobbly or parts missing (the dragonflies lose their wings a few times), but in motion, it's pretty good considering!

This approach I imagine would run into trouble if there were scene changes, because it'd try to draw an intermediate frame between the cut. Presumably one would chop the animation into sections somehow for that. Luckily, this animation was one long scene.

Return to posts index

yohan henry
on Nov 8, 2014 at 10:53:15 am

Hey, wsup? One thing I've tried is to import 30fps into a 24p sequence..I then speed up the footage by 125%...no frames dropped, so no need for frame blending..I use premiere..

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Nov 8, 2014 at 5:24:51 pm

Thanks Yohan. Yes, I've done similar for 24 -> 25fps conversions, but 24fps to 30fps *really* shows up in the difference in audio speed. I think I once converted an NTSC film to 1080-24p and did a frame-for-frame conversion like you suggested, and slowed down the audio a little, then time stretched it a bit more so the voices weren't too low but the timestretch wasn't too extreme either. It wasn't a wonderful result, but it was the best I could do.
- Paddy, CreativeMedia.org.uk

Paddy, CreativeMedia.org.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]