FORUMS: list search recent posts

Genearal question about Field Dominance

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Weiner
Genearal question about Field Dominance
on Aug 14, 2013 at 5:19:22 pm

Are there any good ways on a mac to know for sure what the field Dominance of a piece of footage is? Any program I've found that even bothers to list what the Dominance is always include a drop down window where you can change the setting to Bottom, Top, or Progressive. (and in FCP case you can also change it to none, Top, Bottom, and Not Set). What I think is weird though, is that while you can change this setting it never seems to do anything different with the footage.

It's something that's bugged me for a long time, and I'm working on something where it's important I get this right because I want to work on a project shot at 1080 in 720P, and I can't tell if my raw footage is 1080P or 1080i.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Genearal question about Field Dominance
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:30:25 pm

MediaInfo will tell you the scan type of the footage. It's a good tool for a variety of things:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Return to posts index

Eric Weiner
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:38:17 pm

Cool, according to Media Info, those raw files are progressive. (Which is what makes sense to me, and what the file looks like when I play through it.)

When I drop the same file into Final Cut, it comes back with the file being lower, and in compressor it says it is upper...

Something about Media info makes it more reliable?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Aug 27, 2013 at 2:17:51 pm

Not sure but other FCP gurus on the COW usually suggest analyzing the file with a tool like MediaInfo to find out what your file actually is, as opposed to how FCP interprets it, which as you know, can be wrong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]