FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble compressing 90 Minute video in order to upload to Vimeo-Assistance would be greatly appreciated!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Frader
Trouble compressing 90 Minute video in order to upload to Vimeo-Assistance would be greatly appreciated!
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:13:18 am

Hello, I have spent countless hours trying to figure this out, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to upload a 90 minute video to Vimeo for a client. I'm working out of Final Cut Pro 7, and cant figure out how to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions, as far as what size bit rate I should use, and any other input? I'm working with HDV footage and every time I export the clip, it's around 40 GB (obviously way too big). I'm trying to get my video under 5gb, but ideally much smaller to avoid an extremely long upload time.

The quality does not need to be great, it's just a sample of the work, so it should look presentable, but doesn't need to be amazing.

Thanks again!

-Jake

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Trouble compressing 90 Minute video in order to upload to Vimeo-Assistance would be greatly appreciated!
on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:59:00 am

8 Mbps, H.264 if it's 1080p. About 5 Mbps if it's 720p. MOV wrapper.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Trouble compressing 90 Minute video in order to upload to Vimeo-Assistance would be greatly appreciated!
on Jul 30, 2013 at 2:52:18 pm

And straight from Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/help/compression

and YouTube for comparison
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Return to posts index

Jake Frader
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:07:11 pm

Thank you both for the replies! It really is appreciated.

Craig, apologies if this is a rudimentary question (this is a semi-new world of exporting video content for me). I have looked at the suggested compression rates for vimeo and youtube before, but if I use their suggested bitrates, and the file is 40-50 GBs, won't the file still end up being too big to upload to Vimeo/Youtube?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 30, 2013 at 5:51:59 pm

YouTube allows up to 20GB if you do it from FireFox and your account allows uploads more than 15 minutes.

Vimeo I believe to 500MB for free accounts and 5GB for paid accounts (it may be higher for Pro).

So what the maximum duration at the recommended settings depends on your account. You can use a bit rate calculator to figure out the data rate needed to meet the file size limit.

Return to posts index

Jake Frader
on Jul 30, 2013 at 8:02:18 pm

Thanks Craig, Quite appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]