FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client wants AVI,

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Brunson
Client wants AVI,
on Jul 24, 2013 at 11:16:28 pm

I've made a 7 second composition for one of those LED marquee signs.
Client originally requested .MP4. When that didn't work, requested .AVI.
I've tried a few mac platform tools to convert to AVI, with less than satisfactory results. [horrific compression artifacts, forced 4x3 aspect ratio, etc. ] I did eventually get a decent looking file, but It also failed on the client's end.
I don't have a ton of experience in weird delivery formats. Any hints for conversion software that gives you some measure of control?
I'd also appreciate any info on why AVI behaves the way it does.
Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Client wants AVI,
on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:34:24 am

[Justin Brunson] "Client originally requested .MP4. When that didn't work, requested .AVI. "

Those are both containers. What codec? H.264 is most common for .mp4 but it's not the only option. Perhaps they need the older mpeg4 part 2 version of .mp4.

AVI needs a codec too.

If your client doesn't know the difference between containers and codecs perhaps you should get the actual specs. Personally I NEVER trust a client for tech specs as given unless they show understanding. Otherwise I ask them details or ask them to put me in contact with the company responsible for actual playback.

Telestream Episode can encode to AVI container. You have to know the codec though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]