FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultimate Way to Compress For YouTube?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cole Christine
Ultimate Way to Compress For YouTube?
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:09:41 am

YouTube has some truly amazing looking videos in terms of compression. There are also some truly terrible ones. I'm curious to know if there's a formula that can be applied when compressing. The standard guidelines don't seem to yield great results, particularly results like these:

Those two videos are stunning, even at 360p. Now for comparison, here are two of my own:

Not to flatter myself, but in the original files, those videos look great. When uploaded to YouTube, they look significantly darker and more pixelated.

Is there some way to get videos looking as good as the first ones listed above?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Ultimate Way to Compress For YouTube?
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:19:46 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "standard" guidelines but these are what they recommend.
I'd suggest using the 1080 50,000kbps settings for best results (overkill in many cases).
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Note the rest of the settings such as High Profile, CABAC, 2 consecutive B frames, GOP half the frame rate.

Also note your source quality matters. Shooting on a Red Epic and using a ProRes HQ master file is going to look better than a consumer AVCHD camera. Recompressing an already compressed file is also going to look bad.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]