FORUMS: list search recent posts

flicker or moire issue with Compressor 4

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Betts
flicker or moire issue with Compressor 4
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:11:57 pm

Using Compressor 4 to compress a 1280 X 720 Apple ProRes 1 hour 25 minute QT movie to fit on a standard def DVD. The QT file does not display the flicker or what I might inaccurately call a moire problem but it does appear when the file is compressed. What is causing the problem are lines of duct/gaffers tape across a dance floor during a recital. Used the Preview monitor in Compressor to observe any differences as I adjust parameters. Using Frame Controls On and tried changing output fields and field dominance but issue still appears. Any suggestions? Playing back authored DVD on HD monitor. Is it something I have to live with when compressing HD content to DVD or is there something else I can try? Deadline looming!

Return to posts index

Peter Marsay
Re: flicker or moire issue with Compressor 4
on Mar 29, 2014 at 12:23:04 am

Hi Keith, did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem! Thanks :)
Peter

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
Re: flicker or moire issue with Compressor 4
on Mar 29, 2014 at 1:51:07 am

Unfortunately I did not. I don't think it was a problem with my Blu Ray versions of the event but just the standard def versions. Just another inherent problem when compressing HD content for standard definition DVD use. Some of my jobs involve providing authored standard def DVD copies of an event. I had always hoped Blu Ray would become more accepted but it just hasn't caught on. When comparing Blu Ray versus standard def versions of an event that involves recording from a distance with no medium or close up shots the difference in image quality is considerable. When shooting medium range and close up I find the difference in Blu Ray versus standard def DVD's to be far less distinguishable. Regarding my original problem and your inquiry, much like an on-air news talent wearing a suit with checks or similar pattern causing a flicker or moire effect, I hope to eliminate the taped lines on the stage floor in the future. However, knowing in advance of recording what may cause an artifact or flicker/moire problem after compression is probably not entirely possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]