FORUMS: list search recent posts

Go Pro 60fps / 1080p to YouTube

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Go Pro 60fps / 1080p to YouTube
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:24:11 am

Hi,

We've got some footage from a Go Pro, 60fps, 1080p. Runs a little juddery in FCPX, but plays out fine. Uploads to YouTube on the custom settings we've always used, including 'use existing frame rate'.

Looks fine on YouTube as 1080p.

But looks more than awful on a phone streaming 3G. When compared to other footage we've shot with the same settings (admittedly on an EX1), the quality difference is huge.

Trying a few different settings, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps and uploading to see if it makes any difference, but wondered if anyone had any guidance here?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Go Pro 60fps / 1080p to YouTube
on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:10:39 am

[Olly Lawer] "Runs a little juddery in FCPX,"

It depends on what Mac you're using. Allow FCPX to transcode to ProRes in the background.

[Olly Lawer] "But looks more than awful on a phone streaming 3G. When compared to other footage we've shot with the same settings (admittedly on an EX1), the quality difference is huge. "

But that doesn't describe what the issue is. "Quality" is extremely vague. There's a score or more things that can fall under quality.

[Olly Lawer] "but wondered if anyone had any guidance here?"

Make it look better? Sorry but it's hard to provide guidance. You seem to be looking at frame rate as opposed to macro blocking but a wrong assumption on my part can result in a bunch of not very useful suggestions.

Try to describe and maybe even link to the issue. I can certainly look at COW on my iPhone and see the issue.

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:22:40 am

Thanks. I'll try and be a bit more specific.

Compressor settings running through FCPX:
1080p
Various frame rates, same result - 25, 29.97, 30. 60
Just under 'high' quality
Key Frames: Automatic
Encoding: Best Quality
Fast Start
Not touched frame controls or Resizing Controls from compressor default
Video Encoder
Width and Height: Up to 1920 x 1080
Pixel aspect ratio: Default
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 70
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25
Fast Start: on

I guess it's just that YouTube is dropping the playback quality down to probably 240 and not playing at full 1080. However, other footage which is streaming at 240 on YouTube looks a hell of a lot better than with the Go Pro.

Basically you get blocks of pixels (if that makes sense), so you can hardly make out what is going on.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:51:07 am

Does you encode look good on your desktop?
Does their 1080 look good on YouTube?
If that's fine but 240 looks worse than other people's GoPro sourced YouTube encodes on the same phone, you could just be a victim of YouTube's encoding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]