FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uploaded video playback issue during disolves

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Mackanic
Uploaded video playback issue during disolves
on May 12, 2013 at 11:19:01 am

Hello. I uploaded an H.264 to the Go Daddy website builder from FCP X using Compressor. There is a max file size of only 150 mb on Go Daddy. The video looks fine, except for the transitions (dissolves). There is a "pixelization" effect. They just look bad! Not sure how to correct this. Any suggestions? Thanks- Bill

IMac i7 OSX v10.8.3
Final Cut Pro X 10.0.8
Compressor 4 v4.0.7
Go Daddy Web Site Builder Premium

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Uploaded video playback issue during disolves
on May 12, 2013 at 12:27:18 pm

A few questions. How long is the video? What is the frame size? What was the file size of the compressed version that you uploaded? Is the issue visible in the video file before uploading, or only after it is uploaded?

If the issue is present in your compressed file before uploading, you can try placing compression markers in Compressor. These will make compressor "focus" on those areas and make sure to do a good job.

You definitely want to use every bit of that tiny 150MB size limit.

Return to posts index

Bill Mackanic
on May 13, 2013 at 1:47:56 pm

Good morning. Thanks for your quick response.
The video is one minute long.
The size is 1280x720.
The file size I uploaded is 135 mb.
The issue is only visible after the upload, while viewing online-
that video (and the transitions)look great on my computer.
Yes, 150 mb limit is very small (an issue I've taken up with Go Daddy).
So I am looking for a way to convert/ compress a short video into a small space and have it look correct! Am I asking too much? Any reply is appreciated!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on May 13, 2013 at 5:32:01 pm

Well, since it looks great on your computer I think the problem must be with Go Daddy's recompression after you upload.

You could try making the transitions shorter, or longer, or remove them completely. Slightly increase the bit rate to get the file size even closer to 150MB. Try compression markers at the troublesome areas. Shorten the total length of the video to get the bitrate higher. Decrease the frame size in order to increase the bit rate.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 14, 2013 at 1:54:58 am

Try adding extra key frames. Natural plus forced key frames every 10 frames. Might not add much to the file size.

I've had to crank up the bit rate and although I did, the file size only got nominally bigger.

Otherwise it is in go daddy's side.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Bill Mackanic
on May 15, 2013 at 9:57:54 am

Good morning. I will try out these excellent suggestions. Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated- Bill.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 15, 2013 at 1:57:50 pm

Bill,

I don't think that adding keyframes will help. The right answer here is that GoDaddy is recompressing your video.

If it looks good on your system, but looks lousy after it's been handled by Godaddy, it something they're doing on their end.

Dissolves are difficult to compress (and in your case, godaddy is recompressing again.) The reason? Codecs like h.264 only send a full frame (keyframe) every 5-10 seconds (yes, this can be changed) and then send only the pixels that update.

But that dissolve? Every pixel is being changed; which requires a higher data rate.

And the compression of compressed material? Makes it even harder.

So, just as a suggestion for your own sanity, what do you think of uploading it to youtube and embedding it into your webpage that you're hosting at Godaddy. This way, your video is no longer limited to 150 mb, you have Youtube which (arguable) handles more video than anyone else.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]