FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC to PAL: need to make SD DVD with two short vids one SD one HD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stanya Kahn
NTSC to PAL: need to make SD DVD with two short vids one SD one HD
on May 1, 2013 at 8:56:15 pm

Hi All,
I have searched forums and got parts of answers.
iMac, system 10.6.8
FCP 7
Apple ProRes QT's source codec to MPEG2 for DVD Studio Pro

I have to make an SD DVD to play on a PAL DVD deck.
I have to put two short NTSC videos on the disk so that they can play back to back, looping. One is SD 29.97, the other is HD 23.98 1920x1080.

-Should I convert each video to PAL separately? (was planning to use CinemaTools per the recommendation of another thread)
Or put them into one file and then convert?
-Should the SD 29.97 piece be converted to 23.98 first? (as per another thread)? Or not?
-additionally, should I upres the SD first? Or let the HD vid downsize with anamorphic bars?

The whole thing is a lousy option, but my only option as far as the venue goes since they only have an SD DVD player and an SD projector. : (
thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: NTSC to PAL: need to make SD DVD with two short vids one SD one HD
on May 15, 2013 at 2:30:31 pm

[Stanya Kahn] "-Should I convert each video to PAL separately? (was planning to use CinemaTools per the recommendation of another thread)"

Hmm. This will work fine from the 23.98 material (it'll be a slight speed up) but not great for the 29.97 material (a huge slow down.)
You might want handle one/both to compressor and let it do a frame rate conversion.

[Stanya Kahn] "Or put them into one file and then convert? "

Handle them separately - they're two different frame rates.

[Stanya Kahn] "-Should the SD 29.97 piece be converted to 23.98 first? (as per another thread)? Or not? "
Why would you want to convert 29.97 to 23.98 to 25. Doesn't it make more sense just to go to 25fps?

[Stanya Kahn] "-additionally, should I upres the SD first? Or let the HD vid downsize with anamorphic bars? "

The delivery is DVD. SD. Upconverting it to downconverting it is a waste of your time.

[Stanya Kahn] "I have to make an SD DVD to play on a PAL DVD deck. "

Call them. See if you can ship them an NTSC DVD for playback. Yes, seriously. Most PAL players will playback an NTSC DVD just fine. You may not have to jump through any of these hoops.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]