FORUMS: list search recent posts

20FPS to 25FPS and 30FPS to 25FPS. Struggling film student

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vicky Harris
20FPS to 25FPS and 30FPS to 25FPS. Struggling film student
on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:36:33 pm

Hi all,

I have a few issues with some footage I shot using the Canon 500D (don't ask why, it had to be that way, all very last minute) this shoots 1080 at 20fps and 720 at 30fps (as far as I've gathered not 29.97). Being a naive film student I thought I was being clever by using the highest res. Apparently I wasn't. Either way it's still proving to be a nightmare in post.

So after realising my problem shooting 20fps I decided it is probably easier to edit 30fps because at least there's no need for interpolating... This was just my quick judgement. It was a rash decision, who knows if it was correct.

Anyway, so now I'm left with 20fps footage and 30fps yet I want 25fps (Britain - PAL). Although this is only a small project which would just need viewing on Vimeo - I can't figure out if Vimeo supports 30fps. AND if it would be impossible to change 20fps to 30fps. (Surely it would be easier/better looking to 25fps?)

So, what is the best option to convert 20fps to 25 and vice versa from 30 to 25?

I've been testing in Compressor but don't think I've fully figured it out.. (obviously need to convert to easily editable format - apple prores 422 - question, should this be HQ for some reason I was taught to not chose high quality as it can cause final cut but also compressor to crash)
I've been suggested MPEGstreamclip - but not sure best way to use it for what I need.
Also Twixtor to bump from 20fps to 25. Can I do this for 30 to 25?

Hand in is 10th May so really need to try and find some answers asap.

THANK YOU

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: 20FPS to 25FPS and 30FPS to 25FPS. Struggling film student
on May 2, 2013 at 5:31:30 pm

Vimeo supports 30fps. You might try converting the 20fps to 30fps using frame blending and leave the 30fps unchanged. Frame blending overlays two frames to interpolate an intermediate frame. Your existing frame sequence ABCDEF... at 20fps would become AB(B+C)CD(D+E)EF(F+G)... at 30fps.

If you go with 25fps, the best method would be to repeat every fourth frame of the 20fps video (ABCDDEFGHHIJKLL...) and drop every sixth frame of the 30fps video (ABCDEGHIJKMNOPQ...).

Another option would be to reshoot the footage.

Return to posts index

Vicky Harris
on May 3, 2013 at 12:59:15 pm

How do I make it repeat every fourth frame? Can this be done in compressor?
Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Vicky Harris
on May 3, 2013 at 3:55:03 pm

Oh no... So I have been successfully transcoding in Compressor. Into ProRes 422 and changing to 25fps (Better, not Best). Yesterday it was slow but as to be expected. But today it's not doing ANYTHING. It's saying it'll take 4 hours to do 3 clips. Sometimes it's 10hours. Perhaps I should do one clip at a time? Or perhaps change to ProRes then reimport and change to 25fps?

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on May 3, 2013 at 4:51:08 pm

Can you specify 25fps when exporting from Compressor? Otherwise, transcode to ProRes using the native frame rates (20fps, 30fps), then adjust while editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]