FORUMS: list search recent posts

29.97 to 23.98

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Franciosa
29.97 to 23.98
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:45:51 pm

I have a 29.97 clip which was originally shot at 23.98. Every 5 frames looks something like this: A.B.C.D.D.
Meaning I have a duplicate 4th frame every 5th frame to compensate.

Im trying to convert it back to 23.98. However Im getting this every 4 frames: A,B/C, D,D. Meaning I have one blended frame and still one duplicate frame.

How can I get this to convert more like this: A,B,C,D/D. So basically the 4th and 5th frame are mixed which wouldn't cause a blending issue.

I used compressor to covert this, but Im figuring I might need a different compressor with more control.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: 29.97 to 23.98
on Apr 23, 2013 at 5:28:43 pm

Actually, no compressor program will get you back there. But it isn't as hard as you think. If the cadence is like you say (A B C D D A B C D D) and it is consistent throughout, here's what I have done in the past to rectify:

• Open FCP
  • Choose 29.97 easy setup
  • Create new project
  • Create new sequence
  • Import 29.97 (2:2:2:4) file
  • Add file to sequence
  • Remove every fifth frame (for this, I use a genius little macro tool called MadRuby which allows you to record a few keystrokes and then play them back on repeat until done. So you can record "right,right,right,right,i,o,shift-delete" which is a key sequence that will remove every fifth frame. Then you can set MadRuby to playback with repeat x number of times and it will edit out the duplicate frames for you.)
  • Export newly edited sequence as QuickTime Movie, Current Settings, Self-Contained
  • Open this QT in Cinema Tools
  • Choose Conform…
  • Conform the QT to 23.98 fps

Now you have the original 23.98p file without any loss in quality or duplicated frames.

Return to posts index

Stephen Franciosa
Re: 29.97 to 23.98
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:07:12 pm

interesting solution. will try it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]