FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uploading a 1/2 hour H.264 film to YouTube

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Lee
Uploading a 1/2 hour H.264 film to YouTube
on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:25:01 am

I'm trying to upload a 33 minute H.264 film to YouTube. I've extended my channel so it can accept longer length films. It is currently on 11% and has been uploading for over 12 hours now. It says 6227 minutes remaining upload time.

I used Compressor's H.264 video at 8mbps with ACC 44.1KHz Audio compression for YouTube sharing. Is there a faster compression I am missing or is it just my really slow upload speeds? I'm trying to get it online for a client who needs it asap. I will deliver in a higher quality version later but for now it needs to be watched online this week and I'd settle for a lower quality version if it meant a faster upload time. My upload speeds are currently showing as 0.154Mb/s.

I'd be grateful of any help,

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Uploading a 1/2 hour H.264 film to YouTube
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:03:07 pm

It looks like it may be your upload speed.
An easy way to look at it. Your file is 8mbps but your upload is 0.154mbps. I believe it might take you 52 seconds for each 1 second of video you're trying to upload. That might be something like 29 hours to upload. That's assuming your upload speed is constant. This is all rough so my math might be wrong.

You need to determine if you're getting the upload speed you're paying for and if so consider moving to another plan.

BTW I can't stress enough how important it is for people do understand basic math. A lot of people here seem to have a hard time grappling with things like file sizes and internet speeds.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Uploading a 1/2 hour H.264 film to YouTube
on Apr 15, 2013 at 4:59:29 pm

Can you run speedtest.net and report your upload/download speeds please?

If it's HD, you could likely downres to SD, and reduce your data rate to 1.5 Mbs.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]