FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay vs DVD compression - SD source

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Markgraf
BluRay vs DVD compression - SD source
on Apr 3, 2013 at 12:39:52 am

Hi all.

A friend will be doing a movie screening at a facility that uses Blu Ray playback. The movies are were shot and posted in SD, uncompressed. I know DVDs require fairly high Mpeg2 compression. Since Blu Rays have greater storage, will an SD transfer to Blu Ray allow for a less compressed final product?

The movies currently live as SD uncompressed 8 bit ProRes files. Output would be from FCP X to take advantage of the BluRay sharing option. If this is worthwhile, I'll get a BluRay burner.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff M.
FCP X, Mountain Lion, Retina 15" MacBook Pro, Kona 3, Fiber raid, etc.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
Re: BluRay vs DVD compression - SD source
on Apr 6, 2013 at 3:45:43 am

Bumping, hoping for an answer. Craig Seeman?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: BluRay vs DVD compression - SD source
on Apr 15, 2013 at 4:57:26 pm

My biggest question is: "How long is the video?"

Your biggest issue won't be the compression, but the upscaling if you go to Blu-Ray.

A standard DVD blank is 5 gig, a standard BR blank is 25 gig, but you're dealing with a picture 6x a large.
You'd end up padding with black bars (bad) because there isn't a 4x3 flag in HD.
You'd end up having access to h.264 which is markedly better than mp2 for compression.

The only way you could truly be sure is to run your own tests; your upscaling method really can matter here (hardware vs. software).

And the amount of time involved might outweigh a slight improvement of quality.

The length will dictate the data rate for you; if it's under 60 minutes, visually, both codecs do well towards the top of their data rates. But when we get 120-150 min, and the codecs are starving, that'd mean more about the end quality of your file this way.

Please post what you do, I'm terrifically curious.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]