FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect ratio problems when converting to 1920-1080

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Soares
Aspect ratio problems when converting to 1920-1080
on Mar 23, 2013 at 3:42:56 am

I'm editing a multi-media project with archival footage. Most of my footage is 16-9 so I've been converting footage to Apple ProRess 422 HQ, 23.98fps, 1920-1080.

They all have to match in my sequence settings for FCP. I also have some footage that is 4-3, so when I convert it, it is stretched out.

How do I convert my 4-3 footage so that it has the bars on the side, but still matches the sequence settings?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Aspect ratio problems when converting to 1920-1080
on Mar 27, 2013 at 11:22:03 am

[Tyler Soares] " How do I convert my 4-3 footage so that it has the bars on the side, but still matches the sequence settings?"

I'm going to recommend against this, if you don't mind.

For sheer ease, FCP will upscale your video on the fly (Yes, you'll end up having to render it, but this should work quickly and easily.) The upscaling algorithm is decent, and there is a way to get it to better (at a longer render) via a sequence setting.

If you want to do this in compressor, I'd suggest blowing it up via the Geometry tab of the Inspector (in compressor). If you go to the dimensions of 1440x1080 with *square pixels* this should generate a 4x3 ProRes video. When it hits the background in FCP, there'll be black bars where there is no data (4x3 on a 16x9 frame.)

But to do exactly what you want, go to the Geometry Tab, set the Dimensions - frame size to 1920x1080 and set the Output (padding) to Preserve source Aspect ratio.

I have a couple of other concerns, YMMV (your mileage may vary) but there are three solutions, with the last one being the one you asked for. Test them all and see what you like the best!

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]