FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I compress my videos before editing them.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall Munson
Can I compress my videos before editing them.
on Mar 17, 2013 at 7:14:38 pm

I am quite new to video editing and I hope someone can guide me a little bit. I have been shooting on a Cannon T2i at 1080p. When I get the files into FCPX they are just so large and take up TONS of space on my HD. I would like to know if I can compress them before I edit them. How should I compress them and into what file format? I record the audio separately on a H4N, so I am not too worried about the audio on the video. My videos are for upload to sites like YouTube and Vimeo. So basically is there a way to compress them but still have good quality?

Thanks for ANY feed back you can give me everyone.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Can I compress my videos before editing them.
on Mar 17, 2013 at 8:08:47 pm

[Marshall Munson] "I have been shooting on a Cannon T2i at 1080p. When I get the files into FCPX they are just so large and take up TONS of space on my HD."

I can't imagine any reason anyone would want or need to compress an already heavily compressed H.264 file further.

Perhaps you have FCXP set to transcode to ProRes which are much larger files but easier to edit on some computers. This is a setting you control though. If that's what it's doing, disable it.

If you are using the H.264 files natively and you think they're too large, I'd recommend buying larger hard drives. These files are small as files used in post production go.

Also if you're using your system drive for the media there's a problem with your workflow. Never use the system driver for media in a post workflow. Use Firewire, USB3, Thunderbolt drive at least 7200rpm or get another internal 7200rpm drive if MacPro.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:02:44 am

!00% what Craig said, but even simpler: These are already really compressed. Saving space here is a mistake, it's better to make the investment with more hard drives.

[Marshall Munson] "When I get the files into FCPX they are just so large and take up TONS of space on my HD. I would like to know if I can compress them before I edit them."

Actually, they're small. They're running about 2.5 min to the gig. Uncompressed HD runs about 10 seconds to the gig. You're about compressed 18:1.

You want to edit these files as is, because:

[Marshall Munson] "My videos are for upload to sites like YouTube and Vimeo"

Which are going to compress your files even further, about 5x more (around 100:1).

[Marshall Munson] "So basically is there a way to compress them but still have good quality?"

You already have it with the files from the camera.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:09:26 pm

Get an external HD to store your media files. You do not want to store media on your system drive. Sooner than later your drive will slow down to a crawl. You'll have lots of room for your media this way and you will be happy.

And check this out;

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-working-with-proxy-media/

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]