FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD compression with compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Torti
HD compression with compressor
on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:21:47 pm

What are the best setting to use with compressor to create an HD compression to use with DVD Studio Pro? I'm looking to create a DVD with 1920 x 1080 video. I'm under the impression that DVD studio requires a dual layer DVD burner to make true HD DVDs, but there must be a work around to display 1920 x 1080 video on a single layer. I've seen it done, but I'm unsure of the settings. Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: HD compression with compressor
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:05:51 pm

DVD Studio Pro can not author Blu-ray.
DVD format is Standard Definition
You can create a Blu-ray disk in Compressor but it's very simple menu options. The quality otherwise can be quite good.

In Compressor 4 look at Disc Burning/ H.264 for Blu-ray preset. You can duplicate that if you need to modify.
If you use the Create Blu-Ray Job Action you can create which allows you to add a Background, Logo, Title and Main and Chapter Menus.

Return to posts index

Matt Torti
on Mar 16, 2013 at 10:45:30 pm

Thanks for he response.

I'm not looking to create an HD video for blu-ray. What I'm tryi g to do is create a DVD that plays full 1920 x1080 dimensions using a "normal" DVD player. There has to be a setting for this because I've seen it done.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2013 at 2:28:46 am

[Matt Torti] "What I'm tryi g to do is create a DVD that plays full 1920 x1080 dimensions using a "normal" DVD player. "

No such creature. It does not exist. DVD video is standard definition. It can play 720x480 4:3 or 720x480 anamorphic 16:9.

I'm not sure what your source of information is but you've been seriously misinformed.

A DVD can scale the output for an HDTV but the encode and what it's playing is 720x480. That's what it's designed to do and there's no way to change it.

Please contemplate why the Blu-Ray format exists.

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:22:20 pm

Matt,

You may be referring to the now de-funct Toshiba HD-DVD format? You could burn in Compressor to a standard DVD-5 disc using the Macs Superdrive and playback in a Toshiba HD-DVD player. We used to do that all the time for short trade show loops. You are limited to 30-minutes or less of content and I recall (it's been several years) we had to choose the HD-DVD MPEG-2 preset in Compressor. I don't remember any of the H264 presets working. We also never attempted any menus. We just set the video to be First Play in DVD Studio Pro and had it loop back at the end. I don't even know if the newest version of Compressor still offers that HD-DVD setting. Compressor 3 definitely does, but I don't have 4 installed on this laptop to check.

This won't work without an HD-DVD player - so if you don't have one you'll have to dig one up on E-bay. And if you are going to do that - it's not worth the effort. We switched to much better looking H264 encoding and USB sticks as soon as we could as it was faster, easier, and less expensive in the long run. You can get a player cheap that will let you plug a USB stick in and playback HD content via HDMI at 1920x1080 with a loop.

Don Hertz

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:27:23 pm

HD-DVD only played on HD-DVD players just as Blu-Ray only plays on Blu-ray players. One can burn an AVCHD disc on a DVD but that still must play in a Blu-Ray player. There's no way to play HD on a standard DVD player even when using DVD discs for short duration HD video.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:03:30 pm

[Craig Seeman] " Please contemplate why the Blu-Ray format exists."

This is my favorite forum post of the year so far.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:07:49 pm

From my upcoming book "Zen and the art of compression"
All the pages are blank.

New formats sometimes happen to accommodate new features.

Return to posts index

Matt Torti
on Mar 18, 2013 at 7:00:54 pm

None of you understand my problem. I think I solved it on my own by creating 720 x 405 versions. Hay will playback full screen on HD TVs. It's one thing to not provide help, it's another to simply be rude.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 7:10:51 pm

720x405 is not 1920x1080.
Most DVD players upscale.
Actually 720x480 anamorphic is all you'd need. I stated that in my second post on March 16.

You stated DVD with 1920x1080 video and that can't be done.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Mar 18, 2013 at 7:25:52 pm

No one here is being rude - there is more than enough information in the thread to offer you an explanation. You might take offense at the knowledge on display here, but all of it is correct and helpful. My comment about Craig's comment being my favorite post is just that. It's more helpful sometimes to take a quick step back and think about the problem from a more common sense approach. Manufacturers never would have bothered trying to develop an HD disc format if it was already possible with DVD. So often we get bogged down in areas because we've dug ourselves in with a workflow that will ultimately prove fruitless. The answers here have more to do with helping the thought process retreat from its position and find an alternative from the start of the path.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 7:51:27 pm

[Mark Spano] "The answers here have more to do with helping the thought process retreat from its position and find an alternative from the start of the path."

That's it.
In order to learn one has to understand what can and can not be done. Then one explores the alternatives. That would be, how does one keep the HD (16:9) aspect ratio on a DVD so it can be played in the same aspect ratio. That would be using 720x480 anamorphic making sure that flag is set during authoring so the DVD player will detect and upscale. It's important to understand that is not 1920x1080 quality. That's the motive behind Blu-ray.

Given the low cost of Blu-ray players, if you don't mind the lack of advanced menu authoring, Compressor 4 can create a very good looking Blu-ray video. It would just be a matter of whether the person playing would be willing to spend $70 or so for the Blu-ray as obviously they're already using and HDTV.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:42:27 pm

I've never done this but do remember reading about it. Check this out though its old:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hd_dvds_on_sd_dvds_young.html

try a google search as well there are a lot of links to this holy grail of HD video distribution in the SD world. It's dated wishful thinking but have fun.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:51:42 pm

Also, consider that search essentially fruitless, because as we all know, the HD-DVD format is dead. The method described in that link requires an HD-DVD player, and pretty much no one you know has one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]