FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about formating MP4 and H.264

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan young
Question about formating MP4 and H.264
on Mar 14, 2013 at 4:40:02 pm

Client wants videos encoded from 1920X1080 and the container to be MP4 and video codec to be H.264 for his website, these videos will be on his site for vistors to download and play. I encoded them in compressor but he is saying that the encoded videos will only play on Quicktime and not windows media player, why is that? he wants the videos to be able to be played on windows media player also for vistors on his site that might be using windows, here are my settings.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Question about formating MP4 and H.264
on Mar 14, 2013 at 4:45:51 pm

Compressor 4 H.264 in .mp4 play fine in Windows Media Player 12 (Windows 7) which supports it.
Earlier versions of WMP don't play H.264 .mp4
Compressor 3 doesn't do H.264 .mp4 (although you can use iOS Device preset and change the extension).

Return to posts index

jonathan young
on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:00:33 pm

I am using compressor 3, so are you saying that my settings in 3 are wrong for what the client wants to do? thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:12:03 pm

Compressor 3 can't create H.264 .mp4. The older MPEG4 codec variants may not play in WMP.
You can use an iDevice preset and change the .m4v to .mp4. That should work. You don't have control over the settings though.
Or you can buy Compressor 4 for $50.
MPEGStreamClip should be able to encode to H.264 .mp4 though for free.
Actually Quicktime 7 Pro can do it as well (which you'd have as part of FCStudio). They hobbled Compressor 3 though.

Even Compressor 4 can't do H.264 High Profile CABAC encode for best quality.

Apple, for a company that says Optical Disc should be dead, sure doesn't provide for the best quality file delivery. As you might guess this is a major peeve of mine. I use Telestream Episode though and that even has an option to buy x264 which blows the doors off of Apple's H.264 in quality and efficiency.

Return to posts index

jonathan young
on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:23:25 pm

Ok, the only reason I using this set up was because I have about 65 one hour videos that he wants encoded and I was using my mac pro to batch encode compress these and I was able to use qmaster and use 4 of my 8 cores to encode the videos.
I noticed my qmaster would not work with my compressor 4 that I have.
Is there another software that will allow me to batch encode compress and will do this in the h.264 mp4 wrapper?
I also own Adobe CS6 so maybe their media encoder? I like compressor because of the qmaster able to use multiple cores to encode compress,

but even if I do use another program to give me the h.264 in the mp4 wrapper, will it still only work on version 12 of WMP?
thanks, your answers are really helpful.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:33:35 pm

[jonathan young] "I noticed my qmaster would not work with my compressor 4 that I have."

Have you tried setting this up inside Compressor 4?
It still has the same basic cluster features as 3.

[jonathan young] "Is there another software that will allow me to batch encode compress and will do this in the h.264 mp4 wrapper?"

I use Telestream Episode but it doesn't do the kind of core assignment that Compressor does. Compressor 4 does cluster though. You set that up inside the app.

H.264 support was built into WMP12 and later.
Vista and earlier you'd have to use another player. Quicktime is just one example.

[jonathan young] "but even if I do use another program to give me the h.264 in the mp4 wrapper, will it still only work on version 12 of WMP?"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]