COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josiah Sill
mp4 and interlace issues with sorenson 4.5.7
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:41:04 pm

Hey all,

I'm new here so please be kind :)

Here's my situation,

I am on Avid MC version 2.8 (old I very much know) and i'm using sorenson 4.5.7 for encoding. I export out of avid using QT reference at 601 and I need to create a mp4. However, my mp4's are deinterlaced and washed out. I've tried everything from rgb and 601 settings, filters and the like. I need help retaining the interlace as well as the color balance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: mp4 and interlace issues with sorenson 4.5.7
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:55:06 pm

If memory serves me, Squeeze around that time defaulted to deinterlacing. I don't remember how to turn it off but I do think there was a way.

I can't fathom a workflow where you'd need interlacing in an .mp4. Interlacing is only used for broadcast (1080i). If it's washed out you need to use the processing filters for that. Although I do remember the processing filters for Squeeze around that time weren't very good.

If you're a professional you really must upgrade your equipment. If the software you have can't do what you want you're left with either hiring or upgrading.

[Josiah Sill] "I've tried everything"

Have you really tried everything? If so than my above comments hold. If not, then you need to be accurate in what you've tried. There's no point in my suggesting things you've already tried... which is what "everything" encompasses.

In other words if you precisely describe what you've done than people can make precise recommendations based on what you haven't done. I under stand your frustration but if you're simply saying the software can't do what you want it to, you need to investigate alternatives. This is assuming you're not making a mistake about interlacing. If you're going to broadcast then you certainly should invest in new equipment.

Return to posts index

Josiah Sill
on Mar 12, 2013 at 5:36:36 pm

Hey Craig,

Thanks for your reply.

First I have read on many forums as well as in the sorenson help that it is defaulting to deinterlace but nothing seems to point me to where I can turn it off.

Second, I am a professional, however, I work for a non profit and to be blunt upgrading the equipment has been put off for far too long. So long in fact that all three of our avid suites would need complete hardware and software upgrades which there is simply no funds for. My boss has been pushing for upgrades but the financial team has yet to give a green light.

Anyway, our program mainly goes to tape (digiBeta) but we are beginning to experiment with file based delivery thus the inquiry. File based media for broadcast is new for me as well our entire team.

Also, you are right, I shouldn't have exageratted about trying everything. Basically I have tweaked for many hours with the filters in sorenson as well as the mp4 export settings as well the QT Reference settings.

I've been sticking with exporting out of Avid as 601 and here is a pic of my mp4 settings in sorenson:

I've tried exporting out of avid as rgb as well as 601 and I can't seem to fix the washed out problem. Even using the filters I've been able to get the right gamma back but there is still a significant desaturation. If this is just a case of old gear needing to be updated than that's fine with me I just need to know.

Hope this was more detailed.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 12, 2013 at 6:26:13 pm

[Josiah Sill] "we are beginning to experiment with file based delivery thus the inquiry. File based media for broadcast is new for me as well our entire team."

I think the challenge is that Squeeze 4.5.7 was not vetted for, predated, when that workflow was common.
In Squeeze, look for the "Generic Web" filter. Apply this filter to your export workflow (batch window). Uncheck "Deinterlace" You'll also see Contrast, Brightness, Gamma in the same filter so you can adjust the look there as well.

Generally though broadcasters ask for Program or Transport Streams though. It may be MPEG2 or, more recently, H.264 but it's not usually .mp4 extension. Squeeze didn't have any broadcast export templates at that point.

Keep in mind a broadcaster is not going to want square pixels if you're using standard def.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]