FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing Mov File using Apple ProRes 422 (in Compressor 4) resulting in huge file size! Is it normal?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Hoolash
Compressing Mov File using Apple ProRes 422 (in Compressor 4) resulting in huge file size! Is it normal?
on Feb 9, 2013 at 5:34:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to compress a MOV file (around 430MB)using Apple Pro Res 422 through Compressor 4 for final editing in Final Cut Pro X. From the "Get Info" menu on my iMac, I can read the following concerning the MOV file:
(1)Codecs: MPEG-4 Video, AAC, Timecode
(2)length of the clip is 13 minutes and
(3) the Total Bit Rate is 5,071.

The inspector window in Compressor 4 is giving me an expected file size of 5.64 GB!!!

I haven't gone through the compression yet, the expected file size being the main reason.

So, can anyone confirm if this is normal or do I need to tweak some settings in Compressor to get a more "reasonable" file size for editing.

regards,
Ali

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing Mov File using Apple ProRes 422 (in Compressor 4) resulting in huge file size! Is it normal?
on Feb 9, 2013 at 5:47:30 pm

[Ali Hoolash] "I'm trying to compress a MOV file (around 430MB)using Apple Pro Res 422 through Compressor 4 for final editing in Final Cut Pro X. "

Why? Depending on the codec, FCPX may handle natively or encode internally.
BTW MOV is a container, not a codec. ProRes is MOV as well.

Without knowing details like duration there's no way to know what "normal" is. ProRes files are going to be much larger than GOP based source codecs.

BTW, nothing personal but a pet peeve of mine is people starting with questions that make wrong assumptions. The better question would be "I have 'file x' as a source file, can I import into FCPX directly or should I transcode first?"

One of the very important features of FCPX is that it can handle many codecs natively or transcode to proxy and/or optimized ProRes files in the background. With few exceptions, one generally doesn't need to transcode first.

Return to posts index

Ali Hoolash
Re: Compressing Mov File using Apple ProRes 422 (in Compressor 4) resulting in huge file size! Is it normal?
on Feb 9, 2013 at 5:52:45 pm

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your response. I was in the process of editing my original post when you replied. I've included the codec and other relevant details in my edited post. Can you please have a look again and report back.

regards,
Ali

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 9, 2013 at 6:04:12 pm

You can edit that natively in FCPX. Some older Macs might struggle and some Macs might struggle if you're doing multicam work. If the Mac is struggling such as dropping frames or sluggish skimming, you can optimize (convert to ProRes) in the background. That can be done on import or otherwise done anytime after import by selecting the click and the optimize option (not exact menu wording).

Return to posts index

Ali Hoolash
on Feb 9, 2013 at 6:05:48 pm

Thank you Craig! I'll try that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]