FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression workflow for multiple format/framerate archival material.. (FCP 7.0.3)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Taylor
Compression workflow for multiple format/framerate archival material.. (FCP 7.0.3)
on Jan 29, 2013 at 2:41:01 am

Wondering what the best workflow would be for bringing a fair amount of mixed archival material into our project's ProRes 422 23.98 sequence...

Sources/formats of the material are numerous... VHS, consumer H264 camcorders, DV and DVCPro files from News stations etc...

Mpeg streamclip is able to recompress everything to ProRes but I'm curious about frame rates and interlacing... The majority of the archival material is 29.97 and is interlaced. The 29.97 material sits in the 23.98 timeline fine, but looks jerky and unappealing on playback (especially in the reference monitor) Is this something that should be dealt with at this stage or down the line..? Is Mpeg Streamclip a reliable tool for framerate conversion or should we use something else? Compressor? Cinema Tools? Should we deinterlace?

Any advice appreciated.

FCP 7.0.3 on a Mac Pro
Matrox mini w/max

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compression workflow for multiple format/framerate archival material.. (FCP 7.0.3)
on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:33:00 pm

You're not going to like my answer.

Yes, you should deal with frame rates on ingest or in your NLE. FCP7 is lousy at Frame rate adjustment (24>30, 30>24 etc.) It was done for speed, not for quality.

So, if you're sure you want to use FCP7, I'd tell you to do high frame rate conversions; either via a Teranex (hardware, black magic about 3k) or use Compressor's frame rate conversion (or Episode or Squeeze), where you'll save money from the teranex via spending loads of time in the compression; I'd experiment with it's Retiming control, starting at "Better (Motion Compensated)'

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]