FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to Compress a video for web upload which will be edited later.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angus Washington
Need to Compress a video for web upload which will be edited later.
on Jan 14, 2013 at 5:31:51 am

Hi Guys, as the title says I Need to Compress a video for web upload which will be edited later. The raw footage is too huge to upload, What sort of lossy compression should I use, the video will be edited later on in premiere. please give me some suggestions. Should I just make a high bit rate H264?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Need to Compress a video for web upload which will be edited later.
on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:05:42 am

What is the maximum data rate you can upload, and where are you uploading it? What is the resolution, frame rate and current file format and codec? What is the duration of the footage.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Angus Washington
on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:15:13 am

The footage was taken on a Sony Z7P I beleive. its been captured in Premiere, the files are mpegs (mpgv) 25mbps, I have 4 clips of about 45 mins - 8 gig. i need to upload these files for an editor to cut up and resend to me. what do you recommend. thanks

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:18:53 pm

You can compress to about 8 Mbps in 1080p, or even go to 2 Mbps if you are willing to send your editor standard def files.

At 8 Mbps, the size will reduce to 3 GB, and over.a 4 Mbps uplink should take less than three hours over FTP. Codec? H.264 is perfect.

Obviously, you can go lower than 8 Mbps, but you'll start to see a huge quality drop beyond that point.

When you said Raw I was expecting a few hundred GB at least. Why not just upload 8GB as is? The time it'll take you to transcode will make up for the extra upload time!

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 14, 2013 at 1:39:48 pm

Yeah, a high bitrate h.264 is probably the way to go..you seem aware of the quality loss...Where are you uploading it to? I just want to know if they're going to recompress or not.

The same high bitrate that I might suggest for this, wouldn't ever work for a website's stream of the same video.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

Angus Washington
on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:29:39 pm

Im just going to upload it to my file sharing, sugar sync. like dropbox but a little faster, then a guy will download and chop it up.

Yeah i dont mind about a little bit of quality loss however I dont want to drop below 15mbps myabe?. Perhaps its an option if my editor is working in premiere and I send them low bitrate files and as they re-send them back to me I could re-link them as the originals. like a proxy. what do you think?

Return to posts index

Angus Washington
on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:37:59 pm

sorry I didnt explain that very well; I meant they could re-send me the project files and I could switch the footage, relink with my original capture files. I'm guessing this would work? both would just have to be the exact duration? could I make an H264 offline and re-link it as the original mpeg?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:21:32 am

You can make an offline as long as you match the naming (and extension) around 5-6 mbs/ and it'll be 'okay' (but his computer will have to work hard.)

It sounds like though the camera is producing mpeg-2 @ 25mbs - and you should test to make sure (in a short sequence) that Premiere will let you relink.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 15, 2013 at 2:12:16 am

Yes, it will work. Like Jeff said, do a small run-through to make sure you don't miss anything.

Return to posts index

Angus Washington
on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:57:48 am

Cheers guys,

Just tested it then and it worked. I exported a highly compressed MPEG2 at 2mbps then made some cuts. made the MPEG2 offline and relinked it with the original and eveyrthing works fine, effects transitions etc.

So im guessing I can upload these low res files to the net for my editor to cut up then he can just simply send me back the premiere project file without having to worry about sending the files back again with it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]