FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressor h264 for blu-ray. Dissolve and artefacts issues.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hagop Goudsouzian
compressor h264 for blu-ray. Dissolve and artefacts issues.
on Jan 11, 2013 at 11:25:24 pm

Hi, I export from fcp ProRes422 1080i. Then bring it to Compressor. In Compressor I use H.264 for Blu-ray multipass 15/25 VBR to fit about 165 minutes on a Blu-ray. Recently I have been using the filter BlackWhite restore, Black 7.5 White 5.

1) after compression it seems to me that some dissolves lack the full extent of the original dissolve, they pop rather than smooth transition.

2) my blacks in some parts have blocky artifacts, even when I did not use the filter as well as testing a variety of compression settings. I have gone back and reworked the original footage which were heavily processed, in After Effects. But doing so I have lost all the subtleties of my shots, in one instance it is hard to distinguish between the edges of a person's hair and the blackened areas. I had to make the black very black for the compression not to look grainy waves in the dark areas or black artifacts.

Hope there is a suggestion... reading a bit the GOP seems to be a factor but that is an area I know very little about, it is currently at default.

Thanks, Hagop

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: compressor h264 for blu-ray. Dissolve and artefacts issues.
on Jan 14, 2013 at 1:43:41 pm

Hagop,

Take a section that has a problem (about 30 seconds) and just play with that (Rather than the whole 165 minute piece.)
Boost the h.264 settings as high as they'll go. If they have the problems there, they're going to have the problems no matter what.

GOP setting won't be much of a factor.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:27:26 pm

Also Compressor is considered a poor encoder for DVD and BD. Maybe try another encoder?

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:04:17 pm

Thanks Jeff, yes, originally I was working with excerpts, the rest of your answer is so obvious why did I not think of going extreme as a test? I have to rememeber that, great starting point for problems.

and Eric, I have also read AME is not that good either, and I thought compressor was the better of the two? A few tests were done in Episode but were delivered to me as m2v, which to my understanding for BD it should be mpeg-4. Which software do you suggest?

Finally, after being very fearful of embarking with a different software and their multitude of settings, over the weekend I began experimenting with Handbrake only to have an easy mac interface to x264 which seems to have given me different results and quite possibly improved. I did a few short tests then started doing the full 52min. film, but before I pressed start did a few more tweaks in the codes... now it has gone crazy... another ten hours to go... at 2-pass 17.5 mbps which will make it a total of 26hours, my average before was 5-6 hours for 15/25. I was not expecting this, too many challenging codes to play with.

BTW, my problem is limited to a few scenes in my third doc.
Thanks,
Hagop

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:24:29 am

[Hagop Goudsouzian] " have also read AME is not that good either"

It's using the Mainconcepts MPEG4 codec - which nearly everyone other than apple uses.

[Hagop Goudsouzian] "m2v, which to my understanding for BD it should be mpeg-4"

Blu-ray can be MP2 or h.264 M4v.

[Hagop Goudsouzian] " I began experimenting with Handbrake"

You can't really trust it in this use - it's not necessarily going to create a BluRay compliant file. Encore might see it fine...or might recompress it all over.

Go with the highest values you can stand in Adobe Media Encoder.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:30:38 pm

Thanks Jeff, you are right! the results from Handbrake with x264 need to be transcoded in Encore, but if I use x264 in Compressor it still has to be re-encoded in Encore because it is not based on a blu-ray template. I choose pull-down Quicktime then in the settings select x264 etc... Cannot change it from the blu-ray template. So far as AME while I see the plug-ins load I cannot access them I only see gaussian blur and others seem to have the same problem. I should give the blacks a tiny boost.

Would it create conflicts if my blu-ray had 2 docs in H264 and one in m2v?

Thank you,

Hagop

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:07:27 pm

[Hagop Goudsouzian] " Would it create conflicts if my blu-ray had 2 docs in H264 and one in m2v?"

Or you could just do this 'right' rather than workarounds. :D

[Hagop Goudsouzian] "AME while I see the plug-ins load I cannot access them I only see gaussian blur"

If you use the blu-ray settings out of Adobe Media Encoder it should work fine with encore...
Yes, Adobe Media Encoder only has a gaussian blur filter.

Why don't you fix the blacks in your editorial tool? If it was FCP and the finished version was a ProRes file, dump it into Premiere Pro, fix the blacks there and send directly to encore - no render needed (it'll compute it when it does the compression to h.264)

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:26:53 pm

Thank you, yes, I did a version that way, worked on the specific scenes, played with Blacks in After effects (processed source of the files) then replaced them in FCP but I had a real hard time finding the balance, I did masks etc.. but was not pleasing. The wall is black but there are people wearing black so changing the blacks I lost the detail in some costumes, some hairlines etc. But when I did the compression with x264 the blotchy areas became nicer pleasing grainy looking (sorry for going back to x264). OK, I will do as you suggest, it wont hurt one more time, I'll post later. I might also be too picky but that is the way it has to be, give it your best shot!

Thank you for your interest,

Hagop

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]