FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores to youtube bad HD problem! :(

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Beach
Prores to youtube bad HD problem! :(
on Jan 9, 2013 at 2:26:56 am

Hi there.

I know this has probably been asked before and I am usually ok with compressing and uploading to YouTube with HD, but I am having a very frustrating time achieving this with a new video.

I have a 3:43 second music video shot on c300 and edited in prores @ 1080 using FCP. File size for 422 HQ QuickTime export is 4.47GB and it looks good.

I am then dropping it in Adobe media encoder and compressing to Quicktime with H.264 encoder. I have tried 6000, 15000, 22000, 26000, 36000 and 45000 kbps data rate and uploaded them all to YouTube but they all seem to be very blocky in certain areas not showing the detail i see in the compressed version on my desktop. I know that some quality loss is expected but there are areas that really seem to fail in comparison. (I am not using Apple compressor as I hear AME is a little more updated with compression techniques and I was having the same issue using compressor also)

Although the video is not released I will post her for visual reference. In the tunnel sections the bricks are no way near as sharp. In the sofa scene there in a lot of pixilation around the place. All in all it just doesn't look 1080 to me. It is also darker than my hardcopy with I am fixing now. could that be an issue also?

45,000 kbps

Any help asap would be really great!

Thanks,
E

Elliot Beach @ 1911 Films
DP

Youtube.com/1911film
Vimeo.com/1911films

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
Re: Prores to youtube bad HD problem! :(
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:25:00 pm

Still seems to have a lot of artifacts and blockyness even using a completely uncompressed file then compressing using AME to H.264 at 50,000kbps.

Any help would be great. latest version below.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:41:05 pm

Played 1080 version at full screen on my 23" Apple Cinema Display.
I see some banding on gradients and some macroblocking on some soft smokey shots.

Given YouTube's encoding I'm not sure how much better you can do.

As you near 50,000kbps I'm not sure how much better the source would get if you did 2 or Multipass VBR and High Profile. You may be doing that already though.

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on Jan 10, 2013 at 12:42:13 am

Hi thanks for the reply.

If both these images are loaded up at fullscreen and you flick across from one and the other, does it not seem like quite a drastic change? The quality image is from the compressed file i am uploading

Is this much change normal for youtube?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 10, 2013 at 2:33:22 am

It it looks like they gave it a new grade as well.
You might want to have a look at Vimeo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]