FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing something down while keeping the alpha channel

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Birks
Compressing something down while keeping the alpha channel
on Dec 10, 2012 at 11:56:29 pm

So I'm trying to compress a video down that is 9megs down to about 20kb. The video has an alpha channel that I need to keep. I'm not really sure how I would go about this. I was hoping that I could set up the size of the video in after effects then send that to handbrake. But I guess when I do that I loose my alpha channel when I run it through hand brake. so does anyone have an tips or ideas that might help?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressing something down while keeping the alpha channel
on Dec 11, 2012 at 12:29:27 am

I was considering a much longer response because I'm not sure you're serious but the short version is "not possible" assuming I understand you.

You must use a codec that supports alpha channel and I don't know any encoder that is so efficient that can reduce a 9MB file to 20kb and have any kind of usable result. I can't even imagine that workflow that would require that.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Compressing something down while keeping the alpha channel
on Dec 11, 2012 at 9:13:02 am

A single frame will be about 20 kb, assuming you are using the correct notation. If you meant 20 kB, then the answer is simple: No, you can't.

If you wanted to try it for fun, I recommend compressing to a PNG image sequence. Audio separate.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]