FORUMS: list search recent posts

VC-1 Workflow and Color Space

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Carlson
VC-1 Workflow and Color Space
on Dec 9, 2012 at 9:17:58 pm

I'm seeing a color shift when encoding to VC-1 using the Rovi TotalCode encoder, and I'd like to know if this is to be expected. I'm encoding a movie that is mainly a static text graphic with white lettering on a dark blue background. Every few minutes, I have a small animation that moves in a small part of the frame for a few seconds. I've got the output quality set to the highest possible bitrates.

I'm wondering if I've messed up the translation of the color space at some point. If I output from the Avid at the 601 color space and input into the Total Code as a YUY2 file, then encode as VC1, why would the source look so much less vivid after it is encoded? While the source seems to be "full range" within the encoding program source window, the encoded files seem "compressed" such that a small green title at the top of the frame is less vivid and the whites don't look white. I thought that if I output from the Avid in the 601 color space, any crushing or compression of the the blacks and whites would already have taken place and would have been visible in the source file, though I may be fundamentally misunderstanding the whole process (I'm a music editor and am just doing this for a BD score disc.) Ultimately, I'll be taking this into NetBlender DoStudio to author the BD. If it is normal for VC-1 encoding to crush the full color range and lower the whites, is there any way of getting these back? My bitrates are only averaging 3.5 MBs, even though I've "allowed" a minimum and maximum of 40 MBs in the encoding prefs. Since this is relatively simple static material, there apparently isn't a high bitrate necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom Carlson

Computer: Mac Pro Mid 2010 12 core
Operating System: Mac 10.8.2 for Avid and Windows 7 (Bootcamp) for Rovi TotalCode Professional
Software: Avid Media Composer 6.5 for creating input video
Encoder: Rovi Total Code Professional 363B16A (Part of BD PowerStation)
Source Codec Avid 1:1X exported at 601 color space YUY2
Destination Codec: VC-1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]