FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to burn large QT media onto a DVD disc

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Salemi
How to burn large QT media onto a DVD disc
on Dec 7, 2012 at 6:22:39 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to send out a 4.4GB H.264 file without having to upload it onto Dropbox or other site which takes hours on end for both parties. When I drop my H.264 file onto a DVD so the receiving party can play it on their computer or project it, there's an error.

How can I get a QT or large HD movie under 5GB onto a DVD so it can be projected...without having to buy a flashdrive or upload it onto a server? I've heard a Mpeg-2 could work? Btw, just as a note: I'm not trying to burn a DVD to play in a DVD player but instead a file to drag and drop or play directly off the computer or for them to burn onto their own medium.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
Re: How to burn large QT media onto a DVD disc
on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:42:28 am

You could reduce the data rate somewhat to make a smaller file that will fit on the DVD. Probably wouldn't take much – maybe 10% and it's doubtful anyone will notice the quality hit. . You could do this in Compressor or MPEG Streamclip., just to name two.

Or if they have a Blu-Ray player and you have a burner, you could go that route.

Russ

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: How to burn large QT media onto a DVD disc
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:52:39 am

Do you know what error they are getting? I assume you're using a simple data disc format.

I doubt it is due to any disc speed issues. DVD at 1x is 11mbits (it's why dvd video has ~8mbit limit) but it should run much faster in data mode.

Have you tried buring the disc with a verify pass to make sure it isn't corrupted? Burning cheap discs or at too high of a speed can cause issues. Because it's one single file, a few bad bits can cause the entire file to go bad.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]