FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to burn large QT media onto a DVD disc

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Salemi
How to burn large QT media onto a DVD disc
on Dec 7, 2012 at 6:22:39 pm

I'm trying to send out a 4.4GB H.264 file without having to upload it onto Dropbox or other site which takes hours on end for both parties. When I drop my H.264 file onto a DVD so the receiving party can play it on their computer or project it, there's an error.

How can I get a QT or large HD movie under 5GB onto a DVD so it can be projected...without having to buy a flashdrive or upload it onto a server? I've heard a Mpeg-2 could work? Btw, just as a note: I'm not trying to burn a DVD to play in a DVD player but instead a file to drag and drop or play directly off the computer or for them to burn onto their own medium.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
Re: How to burn large QT media onto a DVD disc
on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:42:28 am

You could reduce the data rate somewhat to make a smaller file that will fit on the DVD. Probably wouldn't take much – maybe 10% and it's doubtful anyone will notice the quality hit. . You could do this in Compressor or MPEG Streamclip., just to name two.

Or if they have a Blu-Ray player and you have a burner, you could go that route.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: How to burn large QT media onto a DVD disc
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:52:39 am

Do you know what error they are getting? I assume you're using a simple data disc format.

I doubt it is due to any disc speed issues. DVD at 1x is 11mbits (it's why dvd video has ~8mbit limit) but it should run much faster in data mode.

Have you tried buring the disc with a verify pass to make sure it isn't corrupted? Burning cheap discs or at too high of a speed can cause issues. Because it's one single file, a few bad bits can cause the entire file to go bad.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved