FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash frames and dim frames appearing right before cuts

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Minor
Flash frames and dim frames appearing right before cuts
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:33:27 pm

I've been trying to burn some DVDs of a feature length doc, but the output always has either a dim frame or a flash frame that appears in one frame right before most of the cuts in the film. The original format is Apple Prores 422hq, 23.98 fps. I should also note that the video track is in a single track in FCP. I previously exported the cut using "current settings" under the "Quicktime Movie" export option in FCP, and then brought the export back into FCP and placed it on track v1. There is also a text track that sits on top of that video track throughout 99% of the film (watermark in the right lower third). There are no flash or dim frames when viewed in FCP. My compression/burn process goes like this: I send my FCP project to compressor, the film is under 2 hours so I use the "DVD Best Quality 120 minutes" compression settings. I then import the assets into DVD Studio Pro. When I preview the video in DVD studio pro, I can already see these dim/flash frames, so I doubt it has anything to do with the actual burn process. I am at a loss as to why this might be happening, any thoughts?

Just for reference, here are the specs for the "DVD Best Quality 120 minutes" setting in Compressor:

Name: MPEG-2 5.0 Mbps 2-pass
Description: Fits up to 120 minutes of video with Dolby Digital audio at 192 Kbps or 90 minutes with AIFF audio on a DVD-5
File Extension: m2v
Estimated size: 2.2 GB/hour of source
Type: MPEG-2 video elementary stream
Usage:SD DVD
Video Encoder
Format: M2V
Width and Height: Automatic
Pixel aspect ratio: Default
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Start timecode from source
Aspect ratio: Automatic
Selected 16:9
Field dominance: Automatic
Average bit rate: 5 (Mbps)
2 Pass VBR enabled
Maximum bit rate: 7.5 (Mbps)
High quality
Best motion estimation
Closed GOP Size: 1/2 second, Structure: IBBP
DVD Studio Pro meta-data enabled

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Flash frames and dim frames appearing right before cuts
on Dec 11, 2012 at 12:43:01 am

You may want to post the exact version of FCP and Compressor as it seems you're not talking about FCPX 10.0.7 or Compressor 4.0.6.

You may want to include the codec, frame size, frame rate of what you are exporting out of FCP(version?) since you mention "original source" but don't mention timeline settings.

Once people have to make assumptions you'll get many guesses with unknown accuracy or maybe no response at all. Please read the sticky post at the top of this forum for FASTEST help. That may help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]