FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compress for iPhone and iPad

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João Cunha
Compress for iPhone and iPad
on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:09:07 pm

Hi.

I work on mobile development and I'm having some problems with a few videos in one of the apps I'm making. As you know, the iPhone and iPad are very sensitive to large sizes and they can't be used in a app assuring performance at all time.
However, I have a few videos that use a very smooth gradient that needs to be switched with the same gradient (used below the video) so that people won't notice that the video has finished. I could use a transparent video and use the same background but we're having problems with transparent videos on the SDK.
The format we're using is a mov h264. As soon as we compress the original video from AE to this format the gradient gets destroyed and banding starts to show. With that I can't finnish the videos in a still frame that is supposed to be exactly the same as the one below in the app background, making people not notice that the app has changed between a video and a PNG.
What other video format can I use to make the videos small as possible but maintaining image quality so that the gradient is exactly the same as the PNG?

Thank you.

João Cunha
iOS interface designer

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
Re: Compress for iPhone and iPad
on Nov 27, 2012 at 9:33:39 pm

If you are on a Mac I would use Compressor.

Compressor's native setting for Apple devices is an H264 for apple devices with a m4v extension.

Return to posts index

João Cunha
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:48:35 am

I'm going to try Compressor. I quit using it when I switched from Motion 4 and 5 to AE. That time I started using Adobe Media Encoder. Won't m4v turn into gigantic files? I don't need movies only for playback at high quality.

João Cunha
iOS interface designer

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Nov 28, 2012 at 5:12:12 pm

Data rate determines size.
The presets can be adjusted.

How small vs. how big and how good or bad something looks is determined by the person using the setting.

One size does not fit all applications all of the time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]